Hatch Trouble - What's Your Take?

Yanna

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Illinois
This is our first hatch - we put half in the 'bator and half under a hen. We've had 2 from under the hen - one had membrane stuck to the whole body when it came out and lost a lot of blood - seems to be doing okay.

Now we have a second one from under the hen - pipped but no progress. This time, I peeled away most of the shell and very gently peeled some of the membrane with sterilized tweezers, avoiding the main vessel (could sort of tell where it was). I put her into the 'bator and she tumbled out of the shell almost right away but there's a big puddle of blood in the shell.

What I'm wondering is, how common is this and how often do chicks with this issue survive?

What should I have done differently? Do I need to treat them ASAP with blood stop when it happens?

As I said, this is my first hatch and I'm actually sort of queasy.

Thanks.

I realize that this really should be under hatching/incubating - my apologies for posting in the wrong area.

Last edited:
The first chick was given sugar water and has dried off and perked up. The older chicks (2 days older) are bullying but I think he will be okay (seems like a male to me for some reason).

The second one is wiped out and I have her in a "nest" made of an old ash tray (it came with the house) closer up to the brooder light where the others can 't get to her (or him). She lost a lot more blood, I think, but hopefully will come around. I spent about an hour looking closely and carefully pulling back tiny bits of membrane and shell - she wasn't making any progress on her own.

I just took some photos and will upload them in a little while.

You know, I guess I'm a city girl, after all. The idea of this kind of drama every time some eggs hatch just isn't very appealing.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Well...

No takers, I guess.

The one with the most trouble is too weak to be left in with the others so I brought the next smallest chick in with her and have them in a cake pan next to my bed under a light. What a racket she makes!

Guess it's going to be a long night.

Sorry I can't help you much. When I let a broody hatch out chicks, I stay out of her way and let her handle the situation. I figure she know a heck of a lot more about raising baby chicks than I do.
wink.png

thanks anyway!

the weaker one is cold, have them rolled up in my shirt cradling them against my stomach for warmth, rhythm and dark so they'll rest

is the membrane still stuck to the chick...if it is then maybe take a really warm wet cloth and wipe the chick gently to get it off...i dont know what to say about your blood loss..hope someone can help you out

put the chick in the bator for heat

Last edited:
When ever I have helped a chick out of its shell, and have noticed a lot of blood I try to let it dry off in the bator, then try to get it to drink a little sugar water. After that I put it back in the bator to keep it nice and toasty. Every couple of hours I try to offer it some more sugar water and/or food. I try to leave them in the bator for 24 hours when they are like this and let nature take its coursr. Hope this helps at least a little.

Shannon

membrane is all off (holding chicks with one hand, please pardon typing)

the one who lost more blood is just chilly - have been giving her sugar water and have her and the other membrane baby against me for warmth...they"re finally quieted down

In all honesty it sounds like the one with all the blood loss was not ready to hatch. I have had chicks pip the wait 24+ hrs to zip. The only time I have run into issues with veins still bleeding is when I did not wait long enough before helping. Generly the veins go away or at least stop providing blood to the chick when it is ready to hatch. My rule now is to wait till they start to zip before I do anything to help and then I only help if it looks like the membrain is drying out/sticking to the chick and they have not finished zipping with in about an hour.
Good luck with the chicks, hope they both make it!
fl.gif

needtohatch,

that rings true - it was day 23 though, my first hatch and the others pipped and zipped pretty fast...

its not very pleasant when our learning comes at the expense of the defenseless, is it?

we have a pretty awesome responsibility

Back
Top Bottom