1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatch with still air or fan?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bnemeth, May 9, 2011.

1. Bnemeth

Bnemeth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I've tried hatching with the fan running in the bator and have not had good results - is it better to hatch with a still air incubator?

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I happen to like having a fan in my bator. [​IMG]

3. homesteadapps

homesteadapps Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Both work but we like the fan because it circulates the air and provides an even temperature in the incubator.

Tips:

Have a good thermometer and check it with another and try to keep the humidity near where it belongs.

Make sure to turn 2-3 times daily.

We have had good results in our forced air incubator.

4. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I find no fan is better for duck eggs the moving air seems to dry the eggs out to fast. I have had very good hatch rates with duck eggs in still air.

5. Bnemeth

Bnemeth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I have the eggs in a forced air until lock down and I move them to another bator mainly because I set every weel and the eggs are at different stages. I had a forced air for lock down but I was going to try it without the fan running this time to see if I get better results. Fingers crossed!

6. T Hi

T Hi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    I did my first hatch of runners in a still air ------- 9 hatched out of 13 eggs

2nd hatch of runners in a Genesis 1588 with turner, then moved to the still air for lockdown ------- 2 hatched out of 8 eggs

3rd hatch of runners are in the Genesis 1588 with turner and go into lockdown on Thursday. I'm going to keep them in the Genesis all the way thru lockdown and hatch. We will see if that does any better.

I will let you know! [​IMG]

7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    This is my first time hatching duck eggs, I am using a forced air so I am hoping it is going to work....I have a few more days left.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by