Hatch with still air or fan?

Bnemeth

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
I've tried hatching with the fan running in the bator and have not had good results - is it better to hatch with a still air incubator?

I happen to like having a fan in my bator.
thumbsup.gif

Both work but we like the fan because it circulates the air and provides an even temperature in the incubator.

Tips:

Have a good thermometer and check it with another and try to keep the humidity near where it belongs.

Make sure to turn 2-3 times daily.

We have had good results in our forced air incubator.

I find no fan is better for duck eggs the moving air seems to dry the eggs out to fast. I have had very good hatch rates with duck eggs in still air.

I have the eggs in a forced air until lock down and I move them to another bator mainly because I set every weel and the eggs are at different stages. I had a forced air for lock down but I was going to try it without the fan running this time to see if I get better results. Fingers crossed!

I did my first hatch of runners in a still air ------- 9 hatched out of 13 eggs

2nd hatch of runners in a Genesis 1588 with turner, then moved to the still air for lockdown ------- 2 hatched out of 8 eggs

3rd hatch of runners are in the Genesis 1588 with turner and go into lockdown on Thursday. I'm going to keep them in the Genesis all the way thru lockdown and hatch. We will see if that does any better.

I will let you know!
fl.gif

This is my first time hatching duck eggs, I am using a forced air so I am hoping it is going to work....I have a few more days left.

Back
Top Bottom