Hatched Chick With A Gimpy Leg, Can I Cure It?

WRVgirl

Songster
7 Years
Jun 16, 2012
Zone 8a
I had a jersey giant hatch out 2 days ago. She fluffed up and seemed fine, but when I really took a look at her, her right leg isn't working properly. She spends most of her time laying down, but when she stands up, she looks like she's having trouble putting full pressure on her leg. When she lays down, her foot curls inward.

She's eating and drinking fine, the other chicks have accepted her into the little flock, but I'm worried that she can't walk right.

The other 2 chicks that hatched, had to be culled [one had completely deformed feet and the other had intestines that grew on the outside :( ]

I don't want to cull this third and only chick.

Any suggestions? Or ideas?

I can't really get a good picture, because nothing seems defomed, and when you pick her up, she'll stand on both feet trying to climb up onto you, but when you put her down, she falls over and can't walk right.

Thanks BYC, I don't know what I'd do without you all.

sorry I can't answer your question but I know it is so hard to make the decision when they are so cute and tiny. Hope you get a good reply.
hugs.gif

Thanks. I hope someone has some insight. The two we had to cull were really bad off, couldn't fluff, couldn't walk, wouldn't eat or drink, culling them wasn't even a decision it was cruel to let them live....this one seems to be doing ok on her own, I just don't want to cull her if I can splint her leg or give her rehabilitation therapy or something.

Back
Top Bottom