hatched chickens died/dying from coccidiosis

rsxownes

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2015
Five have died so far... The 6th one I think is not going to make it, she's lasted a lot longer than the other young ones that hatched. I picked up the liquid solution of Corid which is a 9.6% oral solution. I gave it to her directly yesterday and today, but there is still some blood in her poop. I feel so sad and mad at the same time. The adult chickens are perfectly healthy and they have been out there for months. But when I moved these new hatchlings outside after they have been in the chicken aquarium inside the house for about 3-4weeks. well that's when they started dying. I don't think this Corid stuff is working. When I gave it to her directly i was giving her a teaspoon. Im not sure how much to give her directly, shes only a month old. I also put it in their water supply. 2 teaspoons per gallon. Is there other medication that also fights coccidiosis? If they all die from it I don't think I'm gonna hatch any more or purchase any more. I was shocked and speechless when I saw they laying there dead. Is there a vaccination they can get when they are babies?

* everyday I've been cleaning their coop of poop since I first saw them dying. I just use the cat litter sifter since I have sand as their bedding.

Last edited:
If anyone has any info on alternative treatments it would be greatly appreciated. I'm feeling so depressed now and that I let them down.

I'm so, so sorry to hear that you lost your whole first batch of chicks :( I know it's disheartening. Don't give up. I used the powder Corid solution whenever I noticed the birds weren't feeling well or had blood in their poop. Coccidiosis is easier to catch in time with older chickens, but works its destruction quickly in baby chicks.

I'd recommend buying the Chicken Heath Handbook by Gail Damerow and setting aside 30 minutes to read a different section every day. It has a great section on parasites, both internal and external.

Back
Top Bottom