Hatched chicks pecking at other eggs' pips?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CackleberriesCrackMeUp!, Jun 12, 2009.

1. CackleberriesCrackMeUp!

CackleberriesCrackMeUp! In the Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Kansas
    This is my first hatch and I have a few chicks that have just hatched and they are pecking at some of the pips on the other eggs - trying to help their brothers and sisters I guess.

Is this ok? Or am I going to need to separate/move them early before they hurt one? I know we shouldn't peel or remove the shell early - so does this same rule apply to their siblings?

I'm assuming it's happened before in mother nature but the nervous newbie in me is just looking for verification.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Hi neighbor!!! What part of KS??? Sorry I can't help, but I wanna give you a bump up....Mine will be on day 18 on wednesday, and this is a good newbie question!!! Can anyone answer???

3. LALADY1101

LALADY1101 Songster

May 15, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    CackleberriesCrackMeUp! :

This is my first hatch and I have a few chicks that have just hatched and they are pecking at some of the pips on the other eggs - trying to help their brothers and sisters I guess.

Is this ok? Or am I going to need to separate/move them early before they hurt one? I know we shouldn't peel or remove the shell early - so does this same rule apply to their siblings?

I'm assuming it's happened before in mother nature but the nervous newbie in me is just looking for verification.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

I have 3 silkies that just hatched and they're doing the same thing.​

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    They are fine. Doesn't hurt them at all to peck or roll them around some.

5. CackleberriesCrackMeUp!

May 5, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:Sibling Rivalry already! [​IMG]

Thanks for the reassurance!

6. CackleberriesCrackMeUp!

May 5, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:LALADY! I've been waiting for an update on your other thread! So glad to hear you've had success! Congrats! [​IMG]

7. CackleberriesCrackMeUp!

May 5, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:South Central/Wichita

What part of Mizzou are you in?

Thanks for the bump!

8. LALADY1101

LALADY1101 Songster

May 15, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    CackleberriesCrackMeUp! :

Quote:LALADY! I've been waiting for an update on your other thread! So glad to hear you've had success! Congrats! [​IMG]

Thank you!!! I'm sorry! I think I have too many threads going at one time. I start a new one every time I have a question and then go back and check the other ones and usually respond to them also. I'm not sure what hijacking a thread means but I've probably done that too.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: