Hatched chicks pecking at other eggs' pips?

CackleberriesCrackMeUp!

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 5, 2009
Kansas
This is my first hatch and I have a few chicks that have just hatched and they are pecking at some of the pips on the other eggs - trying to help their brothers and sisters I guess.

Is this ok? Or am I going to need to separate/move them early before they hurt one? I know we shouldn't peel or remove the shell early - so does this same rule apply to their siblings?

I'm assuming it's happened before in mother nature but the nervous newbie in me is just looking for verification.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Hi neighbor!!! What part of KS??? Sorry I can't help, but I wanna give you a bump up....Mine will be on day 18 on wednesday, and this is a good newbie question!!! Can anyone answer???

CackleberriesCrackMeUp! :

This is my first hatch and I have a few chicks that have just hatched and they are pecking at some of the pips on the other eggs - trying to help their brothers and sisters I guess.

Is this ok? Or am I going to need to separate/move them early before they hurt one? I know we shouldn't peel or remove the shell early - so does this same rule apply to their siblings?

I'm assuming it's happened before in mother nature but the nervous newbie in me is just looking for verification.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

I have 3 silkies that just hatched and they're doing the same thing.​

Quote:
Sibling Rivalry already!
big_smile.png

Thanks for the reassurance!

CackleberriesCrackMeUp! :

Quote:
LALADY! I've been waiting for an update on your other thread! So glad to hear you've had success! Congrats!
ya.gif

Thank you!!! I'm sorry! I think I have too many threads going at one time. I start a new one every time I have a question and then go back and check the other ones and usually respond to them also. I'm not sure what hijacking a thread means but I've probably done that too.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom