Hatched today, green liquid help please

Laodicia

Free Ranging
5 Years
Jan 30, 2016
Canada
This little chickie hatched on his own it was a malposition. It was in the bator for about half an hour (my kids were watching it hatch) before i realized it was not a healthy chick. It was laying in green liquid completely soaked in it. Yolk sac still on the outside. Today is day 21 and all of its hatchmates but 1 have finished hatching ive moved them to the brooder to keep them out of the mess. I put the sick chick onto a dry rag to try to get it to dry a bit and keep the slime from spreading. Its been in the incubator for around 4 hours now and its dry but its fluff is hard. It was stuck on its back for a while and kicked its yolk sack and was bleeding quite a bit. I really thought it was going to die a couple hours ago.

I noticed that its crop is full of bubbly liquid. So far it seems to have gotten a bit stronger, and the yolk sac seems to be drying up well. but im wondering what i should do if anything about the full crop. It seems really weird to me.

the yellow bubble on its right shoulder is its crop.
20180307_124337.jpg

That chick looks awful. Poor thing. That big hunk of meat isn’t supposed to be there. Probably a prolapse. And if the parents are sick then the baby could have the same thing. Some stuff is passed through eggs.

Thats the remnants of the yolk sack. Its dried a lot since that picture. It seems to be breathing fine.

Im kind of wondering if i should try to drain the crop. I have 1 left in the incubator still unhatched so ill be waiting until that ones out before i do anything.

Thats the remnants of the yolk sack. Its dried a lot since that picture. It seems to be breathing fine.

Im kind of wondering if i should try to drain the crop. I have 1 left in the incubator still unhatched so ill be waiting until that ones out before i do anything.
Yolk sack should be yellow. That looks meaty. Guess you can check it when you get the chick out.

How would you drain? I would leave it if it isn’t causing problems.

Yolk sack should be yellow. That looks meaty. Guess you can check it when you get the chick out.

How would you drain? I would leave it if it isn’t causing problems.
Ok. I have no idea. I was thinking maybe with a sewing needle and some papertowel to absorb it.

The "meaty" stuff was more yellow ish kinda green. I suspect it was a yolk sac infection. This is an older picture:

20180307_095238.jpg

Under all the red veins was yellow. Its attached to its belly.

And now:
20180307_172025.jpg

Its chirping a little bit now it wasnt before. And it shuffles around every now and then on its feet.

I thought I should probably update for anyone else who happens to have this problem.

After the last egg hatched this guys yolk was pretty well completely dry. I had MHP so I wasn't too worried about the others pecking him to death. after holding him for about an hour trying to moisten his fluff with the humidity of my hand enough to try to loosen it (which didn't work) I decided it was too late at night for me to really do much I was exhausted. I took a pair of scissors and cut off the dry yolk sac. There was no blood. I thought for sure he would either die that night or be fine.

The chick was fine for about a week. it was eating and drinking it was significantly smaller than all of the other chicks, and seemed to have a hard time staying warm enough. I had to switch from MHP to a light for heat because it kept squeaking like it was cold. I noticed that it's back toes weren't functional though I could move them easily it didn't seem to be able to. and it kept them flat against its legs.

aside from the toe issue and the fact that it was smaller then everyone else it acted like all of the other chicks it was shoving the others out of the way for heat and food and water. pecking at stuff moving around. after a day it had fluffed up too without any real help from me. I tried with a q-tip and warm water to wash some of the goop off but it didn't help at all, just the heat from the light and snuggling up with it's hatchmates seemed to do the trick.

1 week after hatch my sister took the babies back to her house and put them in an outside brooder coop with a heat lamp and a smaller area that had an incandescent for heat that was warmer that they could get in and out of. He died that night. She said he wouldn't snuggle up with the group and just ran around chirping. I'm not sure if it was the stress of moving or if the coop just wasn't warm enough for him. all of the other chicks are fine so I would have to guess it was stress. I'm wondering if he would have been ok if he had been kept in an inside brooder, but I guess I'll never know.

anyway. hopefully this helps someone else sometime. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom