hatched two days early???

allymeagan

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 30, 2009
I bought a bator and loaded it up with a test hatch on Jan. 17, and my chicks started hatching yesterday and have been continuing. I figured that they shouldn't hatch until tomorrow evening, three weeks from when I put them in. Does this mean my incubator is a bit too hot? I have the hovabator genesis 1588. Will the chicks be okay? So far they look fine. I put twenty-some in the incubator, one wasn't fertile, but the rest seemed to have been developing fine, from what I can tell. So far six have hatched, and at least three more have pipped. They're so cute!!! I've been taking them out once they've dried a bit, and putting them under a heat lamp. Should I continue to do so, or leave them until more have hatched?

Allison

Well yesterday would have been day 20 if you set them the eve of January 17th. You don't count the day you put them in unless it is in the AM.

They can hatch from day 19-21 so you are right on target I would say.

Leave them in the incubator, they can stay in there for 72 hours without feed and water. If you keep opening the incubator you comprimise the rest of the hatch because the humidity drops rapidly.
sad.png
Don't stress though, we have all done the same thing. I did many times before I figured that out.
roll.png
OOPS!

Congrats on the peeps and we wanna see pictures!!!
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
you need to leave them in bator till all have hatched, for each time you open the bator you let some of the humidty out and put the rest of the hatch at risk of getting stuck in the shell and dieing. they can live in the bator for 48 hours after they hatch. and yes the reason they hatched two days to soon is temp was high.

Temps were probably a degree too high. If they survived to this point though it wasn't hot enough to kill them so they should hatch fine.

How often you open the bator to take them out depends on your bator. Some don't come back up to temp and humidity very fast. If you open it often you can kill the later hatching ones and get the currently hatching ones stuck from dried membranes. If you have a small bator in a dry climate it's best to wait until the hatch is pretty far along before taking any out. I try to wait until all eggs have pipped. Chicks can survive for a couple days without food and water so they are fine to be left in the bator. However if your bator does recover fine after opening you can move them to the brooder as soon as they are dry and it won't do any harm either.

They should be due Sat either way. If she put them in the bator in the morning they'd be due sat morning. If she put them in the bator in the evening they'd be due Sat evening. 504hrs or exactly 21 days worth of hours from the time you put them in.

Last edited:
i have a genesis incubator and i noticed it ran just a bit warm. My chicks hatched a day early, too. i need to pull it out and do a test run before i put another batch of eggs in. Did you have a thermometer inside to double check the temps?

I had the thermometer inside that came with the bator. It read 100.5. The instructions said the digital thermometer that regulated the temps was more accurate, so I didn't worry about the other too much.

I'll leave the rest of the chickies in the bator then. Oops! I hope the rest are okay !
hide.gif

Pix will definitely be along shortly!

Maybe I'll have to adjust the temp a little bit and try another 'test' hatch!

Quote:
tongue.gif
wink.png
OK stinky pot,
hide.gif
don't go getting all technical on me and all! LOL
lau.gif
I suppose you are right with that logic, what I meant was if she put them in that evening I don't count that day. If i put them in that morning, I count that as a day. Like if I start them jan 1 around 9:00PM, I start counting days with Jan 2 as day 1. If i put them in Jan 1 around 9:00 AM, I start counting days with Jan 1 as day 1. You are just to smart for me and caught my teensie slip up. LOL
wink.png

I never even use the thermometers that come with the bator, they stinko, that is why they come free!!!

And
thumbsup.gif
allymegan, that is the true hatchaholic mind set. Set another "test" hatch for the sake of science! HATCH ON!!!!

Last edited:
I put them in Saturday evening, so they should hatch Saturday evening, shouldn't they?

I'm sure another test hatch will be necessary though!
big_smile.png
I'll get a better thermometer for the next one.

But, here are some pix:

This is the first little chicky that hatched, likely a red star/americauna:
22060_first_chicky.jpg

This is the cuckoo maran/americauna:
22060_cuckoo_x.jpg

This is three of them, likely red star/americauna:
22060_chicks.jpg

This is the most recent, either a cuckoo maran or harco/americauna. He'll be staying in the bator until more are hatched
roll.png

22060_bator.jpg

Back
Top Bottom