Hatcheries?

How long have you had chickens?

• above 5 years

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • less than 5 years

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
"Best" will be subjective --- if you are looking for a hatchery to source your birds from then the one that is "best" will depend on what breed(s) you are wanting, what number of birds you are wanting, when you want to receive your chicks, whether you want to have them shipped or are looking for one close that allows direct pick up, etc. There are pros and cons to just about every hatchery out there - from having small minimum order numbers to offering breeds other hatcheries do not, hatching shipping nearly year-round vs. having limited months of availability.

X2 on Ol Grey Mare's post. I've ordered from four different hatcheries on multiple occasions over the decades (Murray McMurray, Cackle Hatchery, Ideal Poultry, and Dunlap Hatchery), including Buff Orpingtons from all four, and have been happy with their birds and service. The only hatchery I never lost a chick from in shipping is Dunlap, which is a smaller family run hatchery in Caldwell, Idaho. However Dunlap is a long way from your location and the chicks would have to endure quite a bit of time in the shipping box to get to you from there. My suggestion is, since you're in Texas, is to get your chicks from Ideal Poultry in Cameron, TX. Perhaps it is close enough to where you live to pick them up yourself, and even if not, at least the chicks would not have to travel so far through the mail service. Wherever you end up purchasing them from, good luck with your chicks. :eek:)

Thanks for replying! I'm looking for a small batch, buff orpingtons, low death from shipping, etc.

If you're looking for a small batch only, perhaps you could find someone and combine an order or buy local. Or maybe someone in your area is raising chicks for sale or some feed stores provide nice chicks.
We have some local family owned stores that provide a nice assortment including some fancy breeds that I've seldom, if ever, seen offered by hatcheries.

Has anyone ever ordered the homesteaders delight from mcmurray hatchery it is 10 brown laying hens 2 turkey 2 ducks and 2 gosling for $81.28 I was just wondering how good of a outcome it is?

Has anyone ever ordered the homesteaders delight from mcmurray hatchery it is 10 brown laying hens 2 turkey 2 ducks and 2 gosling for $81.28 I was just wondering how good of a outcome it is?

"Raises hand" I did a few years ago was a little disapointed that all the egg layers were sex links I was hoping for a variety the ducks were a pair of runners the geese were white Chinese both males the turkeys were a bbw male and a bbb hen.
Looking back i only paid $66.56 they upped there prices thats for sure i ordered it in 2012

Last edited:
My first order from Murray McMurray was a disaster. Dept of Ag in Hawaii didn't process on the weekend and by the time I got the babies I was able to save only 2 out of 50. I've ordered from them since and never had a problem again. Good sturdy, healthy birds that are true to each breed.
The first time I ordered from Meyer a couple of years back they were great, lovely birds, small specialized order. Last year I ordered three times and they couldn't seem to get any of the orders right. I suspect they were getting more business than they were accustomed to because Murray MacMurray was only one county away from that bird flu outbreak. I mean, my orders seemed to be filled by a kid who just counted out birds from whatever was available with no regard to the breeds or genders that I'd ordered....three orders like that! I called and made a calm but serious complaint. If that person still works there I'd be surprised. If I needed a small order, I'd certainly give them a try again.
I've ordered from Ideal Poultry many times and have never had a serious problem. They ship so that the babies don't have to go through Ag inspection on the weekend. Their birds are healthy, true to breed, and productive. I can wholeheartedly recommend Ideal Poultry.
Conclusion: living in the middle of the ocean, I'm grateful to get anything shipped here at all, but I really trust Ideal Poultry the most.

Back
Top Bottom