Hatcheries

I will add this tidbit since we are discussing it. When a hatchery says "once the birds leave they are out of our control" , it really is true.
The chicks I ordered arrived safe, but I am not going to risk it for the American Bresse I will pick up in the spring. I have a few options, eggs online (don't trust them, might give it a try for cheaper eggs). Chicks from Green Fire Farms, ($40. each min. 15 +shipping) , I will be taking a road trip in the spring, 280mi round trip to pick up a 12week old breeding trio. Once I hatch out some chicks it will be worth it, if they live up to their hype.

What hatchery does everyone use? I ordered once from Hoffman Hatchery about 3 years ago and I was not impressed. I ordered all pullets and received some roosters. I just ordered from Cackle Hatchery this year. So far I like Cackle the best. What is Meyer hatchery and all the other hatcheries like with customer service, chicken quality, can you tell them when you want your chicks, etc.?
This is going to happen with any hatchery. No one guarantees all pullets, most are very clear their sexing rate is 90-95% accurate. So for every hundred sexed pullets they ship out, average is 5-10 will be cockerels. It's across the board, no one hatchery is better at this than any other. Right now I have 1 Oops dark Cornish and 2 Oops EE cockerels, all from Ideal. The Cornish was in my direct order, the EE came from the feed store. It's just a crapshoot. Buying sex links is supposed to take the guesswork out, but it's still not 100%. Chicks hop tubs, or get put in the wrong bin. Anyone that orders chicks needs to be prepared to get an Oops cockerel or two.

This is going to happen with any hatchery. No one guarantees all pullets, most are very clear their sexing rate is 90-95% accurate. So for every hundred sexed pullets they ship out, average is 5-10 will be cockerels. It's across the board, no one hatchery is better at this than any other. Right now I have 1 Oops dark Cornish and 2 Oops EE cockerels, all from Ideal. The Cornish was in my direct order, the EE came from the feed store. It's just a crapshoot. Buying sex links is supposed to take the guesswork out, but it's still not 100%. Chicks hop tubs, or get put in the wrong bin. Anyone that orders chicks needs to be prepared to get an Oops cockerel or two.
Since hatcheries charge extra for sexing I would expect a refund of the difference between what I paid for sexed and the price of straight run!

All pullets I ordered from Meyers were correct, of the ten 'mystery chicks' seven were cockerels, but I expected that, they need to get rid of them somehow.

Back
Top Bottom