Hatchers Anonymous *Official Thread*

Lauren, I hope you don't think I was laughing at you! I was laughing at myself. It took me a while to figure out why it was a bad idea to hatch pullet eggs myself. No reason to hide!
smile.png

Oh no...or if you were, you were laughing with me! Humor is one of the best things in life...if we can't laugh at ourselves, we might as well never leave the house!
big_smile.png

Hi all just found this thread and thought I'd join,

Not that "I" have a problem, it's really compounded by the hubby - we "BOTH" have the problem.
smile.png

All I wanted was a few geese for the pond. But he bought some hens as "fence testers" for the new electric fence. Well, then he bought some ducks. And he found an old Hatchright someone was selling for a couple hundred; being an engineer, he knew he could fix it.

So, I just had my first hatch on the 5th (edit: my first hatch of THIS YEAR), and am going to put in a bunch of bantams x's tonight. Ducks have only just started laying so it will be a while before any of them go in. And of course, I'm in the BYC Easter hatch.

So, yeah, it's going to be a problem. I tried settling on a breed, but they are all so darned cute - and my customers love all the different coloured eggs.

I keep telling myself it's in the interest of science. I"m going to try and do a paper on colours, genetics, inherited versus learned behaviours, but If the truth be told, I think that's just an excuse. Isn't admitting the problem the first step in a cure?
big_smile.png

Katie
mom to 12 hens (assorted + EE's) 1 Orp/Americauna Cockerel; 17 muscovies; 2 Florida white rabbits; 1 Champagne D'Argent rabbit, 1 Rex, 4 Dutch, 2 dutch mix; 2 Roman geese; 13 baby chicks; 1 Pembroke Corgi; 1 daughter and 2 grandsons

Last edited:
frow.gif

Hi Everyone! I just found this thread. Well let's see... I've just started my 2nd hatch for this year. My first hatch was a bust because my LG still air heating element broke on day 18 and my chickies didn't make it.

I do have the "legitimate" excuse that I am using the incubation process as a science experiment/class session for my high schoolers class. (We homeschool w/a virtual charter school).

So I'm not sure that I REALLY belong here...I mean...it's *cough cough* for the kids and all. Education is important and all...

I have 24 eggs from my mix breed flock. Of course I had to add a 25th egg for just a chance since it's a green egg and well I needed to see if it would hatch me out another EE chickie.

Well thankx for letting me join your group even though I'm pretty sure that I don't REALLY have a problem....yet....
jumpy.gif

Hi' I'm Digger and I am not sure yet on being a hatchaholic. Only third time doing the bator thing. I have 9 eggs in now. Put them in lockdown yesterday and was told on here to sit on my hands and stay away from the bator. I was looking at anouther site on here and seen cam set up in coop.

WELL I went and set my cam up and I am in my office now with tv on and can see what is going on in there.

I FOUND A WAY AROUND NOT GOING IN TO CHECK ON THEM SO OFTEN.

HAPPY NOW.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?????????

Hi' I'm Digger and I am not sure yet on being a hatchaholic. Only third time doing the bator thing. I have 9 eggs in now. Put them in lockdown yesterday and was told on here to sit on my hands and stay away from the bator. I was looking at anouther site on here and seen cam set up in coop.

WELL I went and set my cam up and I am in my office now with tv on and can see what is going on in there.

I FOUND A WAY AROUND NOT GOING IN TO CHECK ON THEM SO OFTEN.

HAPPY NOW.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?????????

I think that's really admirable! That'll hold you for a while, I think. But, you know, after all's said & done , there's nothing like being there, to be able to hear the little peepers make those tiny, precise tears, to hear the tiny zipping crackles & see the first bits of shell fall "ping" to the hatch mat, to hear them take their first step & bump to the floor softly, to peep back at them lovingly, with at least one wrist duct-taped down to your side, of course.
pop.gif

Might as well fully enjoy the mischief you're making sooner or later
wink.png

Quote:
Of course. Any one of us could stop hatching any time we wanted to stop. Any time. It's no big deal to any of us. At all.
<*cleaning nose prints off the 'bator cover*>

EXACTLY.
gig.gif

Quote:
Welcome, Digger! You know, there's a saying..."If it's not your first time, it's not your last time..."
gig.gif
This addicition takes on a life of its own QUICKLY. There is hope, however! Just stick around and we will share with you the various ways we are coping with this debilitating ailment.
duc.gif

We can also send you copious amounts of enabling vibes. Your choice!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom