Hatchery chicken packing

I assumed that they shipped because my friends that have ordered from them have gotten marked with that for shipping, and they detailed their packing and shipping process to me when I asked.
MPC doesn't ship. The chicks come from Meyers.
All the regular breeds actually are from Meyers flocks.
The overpriced designer chicks are not from Meyer owned flocks but are still hatched and ship from their facility.

Cackle shipped my ducklings 4-1-2020 with a heat pack and grogel in the small box (one compartment about 8"x12").

Whatever hatchery you are looking at ordering from should be willing to answer the questions about boxing, heat packs, grogel and anything else you ask.....if they want your business.

We have ordered a couple times from MPC in October and we had a heat pack in ours, under the bedding. I assumed it was because we ordered 3 chicks. We squeaked in under the time frame for 3 chicks, and we are in PHX so our days are still mid 90s.

I know that McMurray has different sized boxes. I had a very large order (over 50 chicks, ordering for many people) a few months ago and the chicks came in two different sized boxes. A larger one split into 2 compartments, and a smaller one. No heat packs, but lots of gro gel.:)

Okay. My main concerns were that one of my orders was 28 chicks and based on the boxes I was aware of, that would mean either 28 crammed into a 25 space or possibly too few chicks in one/both sections to stay warm. Again, I have never had heat packs with any of my orders

Most hatcheries don't include heat packs. They include extra males, or have a high minimum for chicks. The box size varies for each hatchery. I ordered a couple of times from Ideal Poultry, and the first small order (7 bantams), they sent a small, single cell box (for up to 10 large chicks maybe?) and 5 extra males for warmth. For my next order of 21 chicks, they just sent a larger, double cell box. I'm sure they have boxes for all the different sizes of orders. For orders that are just over the box size, they might do the next box size up and include extra males for warmth (don't quote me on this though--I'm just guessing).

What hatchery are you ordering form?

Most hatcheries don't include heat packs. They include extra males, or have a high minimum for chicks. The box size varies for each hatchery. I ordered a couple of times from Ideal Poultry, and the first small order (7 bantams), they sent a small, single cell box (for up to 10 large chicks maybe?) and 5 extra males for warmth. For my next order of 21 chicks, they just sent a larger, double cell box. I'm sure they have boxes for all the different sizes of orders. For orders that are just over the box size, they might do the next box size up and include extra males for warmth (don't quote me on this though--I'm just guessing).

What hatchery are you ordering form?
Cackle (22) Murray McMurray (28) and IDEAL (hopefully 2 seperate orders (one of standards and one of bantams) of 30 and 49)

28 chicks is a little tight for a 1 stall shipper but not too packed, so that is likley how they will ship. If it is still pretty warm where you are at they may divide them into a 2 stall shipper and divide it up.

Back
Top Bottom