Hatchery Chicks came 2 days ago... Lost 15 already

TMPope

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 30, 2014
Help! I ordered 40 chicks. 7 were dead on arrival. I had 7 more die and 2 that I'm not sure are gonna make it. The 2 I'm referring too can't stand up and their heads are floppy. I have them wrapped right now to make sure they are warm . Our nursery in in the house so they warm and cozy. Is this a common problem with hatcheries? I ordered last summer from the same hatchery. My first delivery 1/2 my order was dead on arrival. Or is there actually something wrong with these babies?

So sorry! That is NOT how it's supposed to be at all! Find out how long they were in transit, talk to the hatchery people, and the post office. I only order in mid-April to late May for delivery in southern Michigan, because of the weather. The worst order I ever had was 10% deaths, after probably a dozen times over the years. I won't be ordering from that source again either. Usually it's one to three chicks out of 25 to 50 shipped. Mary

So sorry!  That is NOT how it's supposed to be at all!  Find out how long they were in transit,  talk to the hatchery people, and the post office.  I only order in mid-April to late May for delivery in southern Michigan, because of the weather.  The worst order I ever had was 10% deaths, after probably a dozen times over the years.  I won't be ordering from that source again either.  Usually it's one to three chicks out of 25 to 50 shipped.  Mary

This is my first time ordering this early in the season. The last go round they said I lost so many because of heat. They shipped on a Tues afternoon and we picked up on Thursday morning. Ugg so disgusted... I just lost another one

Last edited:
So sad to lose babies. But it really helps to consider the climate conditions the chicks will endure during shipping, and order during the time of year they won't need to endure temperature extremes.

Even though you ordered a good number of chicks to ensure they could keep each other warm, those on the periphery, are going to be very vulnerable. Unless you live within distance of the hatchery that chicks won't be in transit very long, you do well to avoid ordering during this time of year here in the northern hemisphere. Ordering after freezing temps are past is the best policy.

But the hatchery should be happy to give you credit for the ones lost during transit.

Help! I ordered 40 chicks. 7 were dead on arrival. I had 7 more die and 2 that I'm not sure are gonna make it. The 2 I'm referring too can't stand up and their heads are floppy. I have them wrapped right now to make sure they are warm . Our nursery in in the house so they warm and cozy. Is this a common problem with hatcheries? I ordered last summer from the same hatchery. My first delivery 1/2 my order was dead on arrival. Or is there actually something wrong with these babies?
Probably nothing wrong with the chicks......Most hatcheries produce and ship healthy chicks which thrive..... This is not meant to be offensive, but when you say the chicks are cozy and warm, are you certain that your brooding setup is suitable, the best brooding method is an infared lamp with a border to restrict cooler air flowing through the room and keep them under the heat....Plenty of water, feed, and maybe a booster pack...The heat needs to be a uniform 95 degrees first week, 90 second, and 85 third...Your house is probably not that, unless you have made special efforts....Infared heat is especially beneficial to baby fowl...Again, only suggesting because don't know the actual circumstances....

Were gonna put a thermometer to verify were at the temperature you recommended. The heat lamps are going and the cage is wrapped. Live and learn is my motto. I figured ordering 40 would help and the hatchery was supposed to put those heater packs under the straw which they didn't . I'm gonna wait till about April to get these replaced. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Maybe they're too hot? Checking the temperature with a thermometer is a good idea. But, given the fact that you had a lot of DOAs, it may have been a rough ride for them.
Sorry you lost so many :hugs

Try to get a small syringe and drop sugar water in a pinch, also offer cottage cheese small curd.. I ordered 16 got 18 1 died..however, look at your feed. you have alot passing. A poster on here clued me in that the chick crumbles could be to big; grind it in your coffee grinder or with a spoon or make mush out of it...I pulverized mine .She also stated in a post that the chicks look like they are eating but are not. I think mine passed from the crumbles being to big after i looked at them i realized I had alot of large crumbles compared to smaller sized crumbles in the bag so i just pulverized them.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Our temperature is at 90 so were working on getting it up as suggested in a previous post. I also appreciate the cottage cheese suggestion. Off to the store we go

Back
Top Bottom