Hatchery chicks

Chickfever

Songster
12 Years
Jul 22, 2007
Southwest VA
I got some hatchery chicks Friday. I put them in a separate box from those that I had hatched here because they were smaller. That night, 1 of the hatchery chicks died. The next morning, 2 of those that I had hatched had died. Yesterday morning, 1 more of my hatched chicks and one of the hatchery chicks had died. This morning, 2 more of my hatched chicks had died.

Could the hatchery chicks have brought something in on my hatched chicks?
sad.png
I'm so upset
hit.gif

ETA that I had 12 chicks I hatched and 4 hatchery chicks Friday afternoon. I now have 7 of my hatched chicks and 2 of the hatchery chicks left and neither set looks good.

Yes, I'm feeding starter and yes they have water and yes they have clean wood chips (not cedar) to walk on. Yes their temps are right and they have a place to get out of the light (that I use to heat). No they aren't outside, they are inside where I've always kept my chicks until they are about a month old and then I put them out.

Last edited:
Oh my, that's terrible.
sad.png
I'm so sorry. It is quite possible that the hatchery chicks brought something in. Are they showing any signs of illness, other than just dying? Are they sneezing, coughing, acting weird? If not, it could be the fumes of something that you have in the area that you are brooding them in.

Quote:
No coughing or sneezing, only thing different is they are VERY lethargic about 5 minutes before they go. I need to look up coccidiosis symptoms. A guy who has raised chickens most of his adult life (and knows every detail about all those he has) told me about 2 wks ago that he had problems with coccidiosis in chicks he hatched in the summer. Had no problems with those he hatched in the spring but seemed like anything hatched after the first of June wouldn't make it. I was thinking about my other chicks I have here and I have 5 that are 11 wks old, 7 that are 8 wks old, and 2 turkeys that are 8 wks old and they are all doing okay *knock on wood*. I wonder if there isn't some truth in what he said.....

I thought it was one but when I looked on their site.....now I'm not so sure. Let me look around again and I'll let you know. There's a specific thing about the one that I'm looking for.....

It must have been Cackle but I was thinking it was another.

Last edited:
Quote:
No coughing or sneezing, only thing different is they are VERY lethargic about 5 minutes before they go. I need to look up coccidiosis symptoms. A guy who has raised chickens most of his adult life (and knows every detail about all those he has) told me about 2 wks ago that he had problems with coccidiosis in chicks he hatched in the summer. Had no problems with those he hatched in the spring but seemed like anything hatched after the first of June wouldn't make it. I was thinking about my other chicks I have here and I have 5 that are 11 wks old, 7 that are 8 wks old, and 2 turkeys that are 8 wks old and they are all doing okay *knock on wood*. I wonder if there isn't some truth in what he said.....

Hmmm... I wouldn't think it would be the coccidiosis, because of how quick this has been. Have you noticed any bloody poo? That's that's a sign of the coccidiosis. Let me do some more research for you and see what I can come up with.

Last edited:
Do you have natural gas in your house or the area that your chicks are in? Carbon Monoxide Poisoning will cause rapid deaths in chicks. Do you think this could be the issue?

Quote:
No bloody poo, just really lethargic.

No, we don't have natural gas (and they are in my house).

Thanks for looking around for me
smile.png
. How are your chickens doing btw?

A few years back deodrant was sprayed in the same room with brooding chicks and they went over in seconds, Be careful of any kind of spraying.

Quote:
No bloody poo, just really lethargic.

No, we don't have natural gas (and they are in my house).

Thanks for looking around for me
smile.png
. How are your chickens doing btw?

Well if there isn't any bloody poo, then I think you can count out the coccidiosis. I'm having a terrible time trying to pin point this issue. Is the starter that you're feeding fresh? I would also start some vitamins in their water A.S.A.P.

OOPS! Had to come back and add that my chickens are all doing very well now, thank you! I need to vaccinate them, but am waiting for the temps. to get out of the 90's before I do it. I don't want to stress them any more than need be. Thanks for asking.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom