Hatchery Choice,few are tough to ID

Hickory Creek

Chirping
May 24, 2017
Pic 1-3 is the one on the left with leg band is from the rare hatchery choice some kind of marans black , barred or a Dominique the one on the right could be anything I believe it is from the egg layer hatchery choice.
Pics 4-6 same way not sure,hoovers has available marans black , barred or Dominique in the rare breed section.

The last two are polish there was 3 but it was DOA :(
marans on left.JPG
marans on left2.JPG
marans on left3.JPG
SAM_5792.JPG
SAM_5795.JPG
SAM_5796.JPG
SAM_5804.JPG
SAM_5806.JPG

Egg Layers Hatchery Choice
pic 1 silver laced Wyandottes
Pic 2 ???
pic 3 Rhode Island or Production Red
Pic 4 white leghorn
SAM_5780.JPG
SAM_5783.JPG
SAM_5802.JPG
SAM_5779.JPG

And these 5 need no guess they are my Speckled Sussex
SAM_5807.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_5784.JPG
    SAM_5784.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 2
  • SAM_5798.JPG
    SAM_5798.JPG
    281.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
My main question is what kind of leg bands are those and did you put them on or did the hatchery?
They look like tiny rubber bands and the hatchery put them on I will be taking them off today or tomorrow as I'm worried about the chicks growing and cutting off circulation.

Your red one looks like Rhode Island or Production Red. It's hard to tell on black chicks because they are so similar. Dominiques have a rose comb so that can help you confirm or eliminate that.

You are lucky. When I ordered assorted rare breeds they sent me nothing but Salmon Faverolles, and they all died.

Your red one looks like Rhode Island or Production Red. It's hard to tell on black chicks because they are so similar. Dominiques have a rose comb so that can help you confirm or eliminate that.

You are lucky. When I ordered assorted rare breeds they sent me nothing but Salmon Faverolles, and they all died.
Sad you lost them all and thanks for the info added Rhode Island or Production Red to pic 3 of egg layers.

Black with white spot on the back of the head mean you've got some sort of barred/cuckoo breed. No rose combs, so not Dominiques. Could be Cuckoo Marans, Barred Rock, or male black sexlinks. Too young at this point to know which. Skin color takes a few weeks to be obvious. And you can't really tell the difference between male sexlinks and Barred Rock pullets till about 4 to 6 weeks, when the black sexlink males start to pink up in the comb.

Back
Top Bottom