Hatchery choice?

dewpetals

Chirping
Aug 29, 2022
North Alabama
I bought 15 chickens through a hatchery online. I lost five of them but I don't know which ones I still have. I was supposed to get three Hatchery Choice dark brown egg layers, three salmon faverolles, Three Olive eggers, three white leghorns, and three cuckoo marans. I know I still have three of the cuckoo Marans, two white leghorns, and one salmon faverolle. I don't know what the others are, could any of you help. I'm including pictures of the ones I am unsure of. I thought I had three white leghorns but as they've grown I've realized two are white leghorns and the other yellow chick is different. The legs are different the tail feathers are different. What do y'all think? What do y'all see in these pictures?

Attachments

• 0705232205a~3.jpg
    0705232205a~3.jpg
    634.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 0705232205~2.jpg
    0705232205~2.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 0705232203_HDR.jpg
    0705232203_HDR.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 0705232203b.jpg
    0705232203b.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 0705232204.jpg
    0705232204.jpg
    576.6 KB · Views: 15
We were wondering about those "crested birds". So they might be olive eggers...cool. So that means, I lost 2 faverolle, 1 leghorn and apparently 2 dark layers. What yellow chick would be a dark egg layer?

Attachments

• 0705232203_HDR~2.jpg
    0705232203_HDR~2.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 14
I bought 15 chickens through a hatchery online. I lost five of them but I don't know which ones I still have. I was supposed to get three Hatchery Choice dark brown egg layers, three salmon faverolles, Three Olive eggers, three white leghorns, and three cuckoo marans. I know I still have three of the cuckoo Marans, two white leghorns, and one salmon faverolle. I don't know what the others are, could any of you help. I'm including pictures of the ones I am unsure of. I thought I had three white leghorns but as they've grown I've realized two are white leghorns and the other yellow chick is different. The legs are different the tail feathers are different. What do y'all think? What do y'all see in these pictures?
First two definitely OE.

Do they have white Marans?
They do and blue splash marans but this chick doesnt have feathered feet. But if the other 3 are Olive Eggers (I ordered in 3s), I have the 3 cukoo marans, 2 white leghorns and then the no butt feather, black speckled chick that started out yellow like the leghorns.

The 5 picture is probably your dark egg layer. Depends on how dark the hatchery defines as dark. Look up red sex-link, red star, ISA brown, golden comet. They all have plumage that is white and red mixed like your chick that is showing you its rear in the 5th picture.

Based on the list of your possible breeds:

Yellow chicks that feather out completely white and don't change = white leghorns.

Yellow chicks that feather out red and white = red sex-link /production layers. These lay medium brown eggs.

They do and blue splash marans but this chick doesnt have feathered feet. But if the other 3 are Olive Eggers (I ordered in 3s), I have the 3 cukoo marans, 2 white leghorns and then the no butt feather, black speckled chick that started out yellow like the leghorns.
Some Marans don’t have feathered feet. Since feathered feet can be messy, American strains have that bred out.

The 5 picture is probably your dark egg layer. Depends on how dark the hatchery defines as dark. Look up red sex-link, red star, ISA brown, golden comet. They all have plumage that is white and red mixed like your chick that is showing you its rear in the 5th picture.

Based on the list of your possible breeds:

Yellow chicks that feather out completely white and don't change = white leghorns.

Yellow chicks that feather out red and white = red sex-link /production layers. These lay medium brown eggs.
The 5th pic is my last Salmon Faverolle😞 The other 2 died. And they are the main reason I ordered from a hatchery. The dark chick in the background is the cuckoo maran.

Back
Top Bottom