Hatchery did not mark chicks!!

Looking at the eye line I think 2 is definately a welsummer. From the id page "Speckled Sussex can look similar to Welsummer, however Speckled Sussex have a distinct eye line that curves up while Welsummer chicks have a eye line that goes straight back or slightly downward." The number 2 has a much more yellow belly, so I am thinking that is the sussex. The V also seems to differ slightly between them, so now...which is the second welsummer?

Brown chick #1

Attachments

• BrownChick1.jpg
    BrownChick1.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 8
  • BrownChick1_2.jpg
    BrownChick1_2.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 8
The Others! These are the "non brown so not the barnevelder". The black chicks are obviously the australorp and dominiques. The chipmunk silvery/black one is the silver laced wyandotte. There are 3 yellows and 2 have feathers on their legs, so those are the marans. The ancona is also obvious. The web site didn't show the backs of the silver spangled hamburg, but there is a mottled grey with yellowish head one that sure is a prime suspect.

There is one that I didn't outright identify (other than the brown chipmunks). It is a plain bright yellow. Maybe the meal maker? Or maybe the third easter egger.

Attachments

• BlacksMarked01.jpg
    BlacksMarked01.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DarkChipmunk01.jpg
    DarkChipmunk01.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DarkChipmunk02.jpg
    DarkChipmunk02.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 8
  • OthersMarked01.jpg
    OthersMarked01.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 8
  • OthersMarked02.jpg
    OthersMarked02.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 8
  • YellowMarked01.jpg
    YellowMarked01.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 8
  • YellowMarked02.jpg
    YellowMarked02.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 8
So far:
1: ?
2: Welsummer?
3: ?
4: Barnevelder?
5: Speckled Sussex?
6: Dominique
7: Dominique
8: Dominique
9: Dominique
10: Black Australorp
11: Ancona
12: Silver Spangled Hamburg
13: Silver Laced Wyandotte
14: Blue Splash Marans
15: Blue Splash Marans
16: ? Died :(
17: fuzzy cheeked chipmunks believe to be Easter eggers.
18: fuzzy cheeked chipmunks believe to be Easter eggers.

Last edited:
Speckled Sussex has white legs and the belly is usually light. It's #5 in the brown group shot, bright pink feet are obvious there. Barnevelder and Welsummer have yellow legs. Welsummer usually has crisper, simpler markings with the Barnevelder being darker and more patterned.

Is this a barnevelder?
This is the one I think it is. I can't promise to be right because you have too many similar looking chicks but that's the one I'd choose if you need to pick it out now.

ETA: your pics didn't follow in the quote but that was #4 I believe to be your Barnie.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom