1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatchery did not mark chicks!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fightingbunny, Jun 5, 2017.

1. fightingbunny

fightingbunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2016
    Maryland
    Help! I have a bunch of chicks coming from Meyer Hatchery and most of them are for someone else. I only wanted to keep 2 of these and because the hatchery did not mark them, I have no idea how to know which are my two.

I paid a lot more for a Barnevelder chick (almost 11 dollars) versus the usual which is three and a half. On top of that I really do want to have it versus a different one. How do I tell it from the following list? The other chick I have in the order is an Easter Egger and I understand that there is no way to ID that one. As the order also includes 4 male chickens and I can not have roosters, it is really important to ID as many as possible.

Could people look at the list below and say what some basic features are to look for? Leg color, body color, ear color, etc? Hopefully some are obvious as chicks from the others. Or at least maybe Barnevelders are :) I realize I can not ID well as chicks, but any way to tell the barnevelder from the rest would be amazing! I also would not mind some of the others, but identifying the boys would be great (Dominique and blue splash maran)

I will have pictures by tonight or tomorrow night.

x1 Ancona Female
    x1 Black Australorp Female
    x1 Barnevelder Female
    x1 Speckled Sussex Female
    x1 Silver Spangled Hamburg Female
    x1 Silver Laced Wyandotte Female
    x1 Meyer Meal Maker
    x2 Welsummer Female
    x2 Dominique Male
    x2 Dominique Female
    x2 Blue Splash Marans Male
    x3 Easter Egger Female

Thank you for any help!!
    Jenn

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Hatcheries often only mark the packing peanut cockerels.

The EE will have green legs and a good chance of having fluffy cheeks, and may be chipmunk patterned. The Dominiques will be the mostly black ones with the white head spots. The Austrolorp will be the mostly black one without a head spot. Ancona will have a white belly and black back. The Hamburg will have a patterned head and a rose comb. The Marans will probably have feathered legs.

The Barnevelder, Sussex, Wyandotte and Welsummer will all be chipmunk patterned chicks. You will be able to tell which one is the Wyandotte because it will have a rose comb. The rest have single combs. You may want to post pictures when you get them to see what people think.

drumstick diva likes this.
  3. fightingbunny

Aug 9, 2016
    Maryland
  4. fightingbunny

Aug 9, 2016
    Maryland
    Is this a barnevelder?

Attached Files:

5. fightingbunny

Aug 9, 2016
    Maryland
    Okay, are these two the same? Any ideas what?

Attached Files:

6. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada
    I can't tell whether the first chick is a Barnevelder, Welsummer or a Speckled Sussex since you have all of those in your order. The 2 chicks on the bottom appear to be Easter Eggers.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Lots of chicks start out chipmunk marked. Too young to determine breed

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    One seems to have fluffy cheeks. That would be the EE.

9. fightingbunny

Aug 9, 2016
    Maryland
    The whole mess of them

Attached Files:

10. fightingbunny

Aug 9, 2016
    Maryland
    Okay, maybe this is helpful. I put most the brown chipmunky ones together in a picture. I did not include the two from before that seem to have fluffy cheeks. I did include the one that I think is the barnevelder. The hard thing is the meal maker...there is no telling what that could be! Oh boy, do I regret not having the hatchery mark the chicks somehow :(

I think the two with the pronounced V on the top of the heads are the welsummers. That would be 2 and 5

I think my next tack is to count and isolate all the grey/black ones so that I can determine how many easter eggers are in the brown group. Actually, I do not have a overall count! I know that they sometimes throw in extras if there are not enough orders, so I should do that.

Unfortunately I do not have time to wait for these to grow up to determine which two I am keeping as the lady I shared the order with comes tomorrow to get them.

Attached Files:

11. fightingbunny

Aug 9, 2016
    Maryland
    Looking at the eye line I think 2 is definately a welsummer. From the id page "Speckled Sussex can look similar to Welsummer, however Speckled Sussex have a distinct eye line that curves up while Welsummer chicks have a eye line that goes straight back or slightly downward." The number 2 has a much more yellow belly, so I am thinking that is the sussex. The V also seems to differ slightly between them, so now...which is the second welsummer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by