Hatchery Haters

Okla-doodle-doo

Crowing
14 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Portland,Tn
I really get tired of people who run down hatcheries and talk about them like they are nothing but disease ridden crossbreed promoters!
A most hatcheries buy their eggs from breeders.yet is these breeders that act like their birds are the only ones that worth having!I think hatcheries are great. They make the birds the breeders raise affordable to everyone. And with out them we would never be able to find some many different breeds to drool over. I have birds fro both hatcheries and breeders and a lot of times the hatchery birds are just as good or better than some from "breeders".

thumbsup.gif
clap.gif

I agree, though it sort of depends on what you're looking for...some breeders are able to spend more time on their birds in order to perfect, while with hatcheries you cannot anyways do that, and thus the birds might be a little lower in quality.
Personally, I'm a fan of McMurray, though don't think their birds are perfect when it comes to regs.

I'm not a fan of hatcheries because they don't most times have the type of birds I prefer.

I have often said tho if someone only wants hens for some eggs and backyard bug control the birds they sell are fine.

I used to buy from hatcheries but was tired of the breeds I ordered often times only remotely resembling the breed I wanted.

ETA: I also think if hatcheries were proud of the level of birds they produce they'd use pictures of their own birds. Out of curiousity I once emailed a bunch of hatcheries asking them about the pictures. Cackle was the only one that said a few of the pictures were birds that had come from them. The others either didn't respond or said no, that the pictures only represented the breed but were not their birds.

Last edited:
I haven' t bought from a hatchery because for the cost of getting those chicks shipped to me, I can usually find a breeder.

I keep dreaming of getting a box of chicks in the mail, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

I personally have both breeder birds and hatchery birds. I live in a very rural country area and here most people want good laying hens and couldn't care less about the birds pedigrees. They are however very picky about how much they will spend on chickens.

So I buy and raise several hundred hatchery birds every year to sell locally and keep a few for our selling eggs laying flock. They are great layers and can be raised quickly and cheap enough to be profitable.

I also raise a few breeder quality breeds just for my own personal enjoyment and sell only a few of these as started birds to others looking for a more true to SOP chicken. We have very small flocks of breeder birds and hatch all their eggs ourself. I'll most likely never turn a profit on these as I raise them for my own enjoyment, not to sell.

I think that both types of birds are fine, to each their own.

I personally think people, even those who want "fancy" chickens, should start with hatchery stock if they have never owned chickens. It's a cheaper way to get your education in the pros and cons of raising chickens. After you learn the ropes, if you are happy with your hatchery stock then you are set and on your way! If you decide later to "upgrade" to a more show type chicken, you have the experiance not to make as many costly mistakes.

JMHO, your milage may vary.
wink.png

Everyones entitled to their opinion...
If some folks say that that hatcheries suck..thats their opinion... and they can have it.
Just like you can have your opinion that you like hatcheries....
Its really not such a big deal..
I have both hatchery birds and home hatched birds from breeders here on BYC....

I buy from both to. I have a brooder full of BSL and production reds from hoovers. I got a great deal and great service. The chicks where clean and healthy! I can't complain.

I am somewhat anti-hatchery, but more for ethical reasons... I don't like that they mass-hatch and kill male chicks and chicks that no one ends up buying. Also, it's sad how many chicks get lost in the mail system and die.
sad.png
I think it's better to hatch your own, buy from a local breeder, or rescue for these reasons. I would much rather see to it that my chicks get a good life regardless of gender, and sending eggs in the mail doesn't cause any death.

Back
Top Bottom