Hatchery lesson learned from last year: Order now, don't wait

Quote:
They sent me an e-mail last friday saying they wouldn't be accepting orders for 2009 until January 10th.....Hmmmm....

Quote:
GREAT reminder!! I ordered my Colored Rangers to be delivered April 1st-
woot.gif

I tried and tried to find EE/Ameraucana chicks last year to no avail. I had done all my research and decided exactly what I wanted, and how many of each, etc. Chicks arrived at the feed stores around Easter (the norm for around here).

I knew the exact dates they expected chicks and I still couldn't get my hands on any EE chicks to save my life. In fact, getting ANY chicks locally was nearly impossible. Re-homing a group of 4 cockerals from the spring before proved to be a daunting task, so I was reluctant to try to hatch my own. Ended up adopting some adult laying EE from some friends.

Lesson learned for sure!!

DD and I went to the feed store last week for rabbit pellets and they had just received a large shipment from Privett. We came home with our rabbit feed and set up an old large pet taxi. Went back later that afternoon and bought 4 of the only dozen or so chicks they had left! Ameraucanas at that!

I might let a broody set in the Spring, but at least this way, I've got some young EE coming up.

edited for spelling

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom