Hatchery ordering. It's a wonder they make it alive to us! (My Cackle Hatchery experience.)

Spitzboyz

Songster
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
West Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I am experiencing my new adventure in Hatchery ordering chicks. I ordered 20 chicks + 3 ducks from Cackle Hatchery. As I look at the shipping information. I notice that once they left the hatchery they sat for 3 hours at the local post office, they then left to the sorting facility at then sat their for 5 hours before departing. I figure the first day they "sat" around for at-least 8 hours before being moved North to their Michigan home (me). For God sakes, they sat in MO for the whole day, the state they originated from! Poor little chicks and ducks sat all day before even leaving their home state!

I wonder if USPS cares to take precautions with "live" shipments and takes any priority in getting them delivered? So far it looks like a normal Priority Mail package. So my E-bay order of intangibles is just as important as my "live" chicks?

I'm not tearing down the postal service in any way, I am just curious and noticed something I never noticed before.

What's your experience of shipping chicks?

Confirmation E-mail:

profile_mask2.png

Cackle Hatchery <[email protected]>

Apr 28 (1 day ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

A package was shipped to you on 04/28/2014 via U.S. Postal Service Priority Mail to the following address:

SIMON MOLIINA

GRANT, MI 49327-8730

The following optional services were used: None

The package's USPS Tracking ID is 420493279405515901044234210548

To check the delivery status of your package at any time please visit:
https://www.endicia.com/Status/?PIC=9405515901044234210548
or the U.S. Postal Service's web-site:
http://www.usps.com/shipping/trackandconfirm.htm

Cackle Hatchery

NOTE:
This e-mail was generated by Endicia Internet Postage (www.Endicia.com)
at the sender's request. DO NOT CONTACT Endicia if you have any
questions about the shipment or the package delivery. Please contact
the sender of this e-mail or the U.S. Postal Service if you have
questions about the package delivery.

Endica Status:

Package ID: 9405515901044234210548
  • Your item departed our KANSAS CITY, MO 64121 sort facility on April 28, 2014 at 8:52 pm. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.
  • Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility, April 28, 2014, 5:14 pm, KANSAS CITY, MO 64121
  • Depart Post Office, April 28, 2014, 5:02 pm, LEBANON, MO 65536
  • Acceptance, April 28, 2014, 11:54 am, LEBANON, MO 65536
  • Electronic Shipping Info Received, April 28, 2014
Important Note:
This package status Web page was generated by Endicia Internet Postage at the sender's request. If you have questions about the package delivery, please contact the sender or the U.S. Postal Service directly. The U.S. Postal Service can be reached at 1-800-ASK-USPS. Endicia will not be able to answer any delivery questions, as we do not have any information other than what is shown on this page.
For questions on your package status, call 1-800-ASK-USPS
- See more at: http://www.endicia.com/Status/?PIC=9405515901044234210548#sthash.djR9Sgv6.dpuf

USPS Tracking Info:

Tracking Number: 9405515901044234210548
in-transit
  • Expected Delivery Day: Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Product & Tracking Information

Postal Product:

• Priority Mail 2-Day
    2122.png
Features:

• $100 insurance included
  • USPS Tracking
    2122.png
Date & Time

Status of Item

Depart USPS Sort Facility

KANSAS CITY, MO 64121

Your item departed our KANSAS CITY, MO 64121 sort facility on April 28, 2014 at 8:52 pm. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.
April 28, 2014 , 5:14 pm

Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility

KANSAS CITY, MO 64121
April 28, 2014 , 5:02 pm

Depart Post Office

LEBANON, MO 65536
April 28, 2014 , 11:54 am

Acceptance

LEBANON, MO 65536
April 28, 2014

Electronic Shipping Info Received

Last edited:
They finally arrived!!!! Thanks to USPS this morning I finally received my order from Cackle Hatchery. 3 Blue Swedish 15 Appenzeller Spitzhauben 5 Golden Laced Cochin All arrived safe and chirpy. I received all of my order in fine condition plus one extra Spitzhauben. I was a bit worried as I followed my package on the USPS tracking website. It showed Left MO on 04-28 9:58PM and then it showed no activity until this morning when my phone was text blowing up telling me they were at my post office. The nice post lady delivered them to my door and I did'nt even have to drive into town. It was a good experience. Good luck with your arrivals!!

Attached is my shipping information for your viewing.

I can see no one responded to this post but I post this new information for those of you whom may have found my post in an effort to research which hatchery to use.

Tracking Number: 9405515901044234210548
delivered
  • Expected Delivery Day: Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Product & Tracking Information

Postal Product:

• Priority Mail 2-Day
    2122.png
Features:

• $100 insurance included
  • USPS Tracking
    2122.png
Date & Time

Status of Item

Delivered

GRANT, MI 49327

Your item was delivered at 9:46 am on April 30, 2014 in GRANT, MI 49327.
April 30, 2014 , 8:44 am

Out for Delivery

NEWAYGO, MI 49337
April 30, 2014 , 8:34 am

Sorting Complete

NEWAYGO, MI 49337
April 30, 2014 , 7:25 am

Arrival at Post Office

NEWAYGO, MI 49337
April 28, 2014 , 8:52 pm

Depart USPS Sort Facility

KANSAS CITY, MO 64121
April 28, 2014 , 5:14 pm

Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility

KANSAS CITY, MO 64121
April 28, 2014 , 5:02 pm

Depart Post Office

LEBANON, MO 65536
April 28, 2014 , 11:54 am

Acceptance

LEBANON, MO 65536
April 28, 2014

Electronic Shipping Info Received

From Endicia:

Package ID: 9405515901044234210548
  • Your item was delivered at 9:46 am on April 30, 2014 in GRANT, MI 49327.
  • Out for Delivery, April 30, 2014, 8:44 am, NEWAYGO, MI 49337
  • Sorting Complete, April 30, 2014, 8:34 am, NEWAYGO, MI 49337
  • Arrival at Post Office, April 30, 2014, 7:25 am, NEWAYGO, MI 49337
  • Depart USPS Sort Facility, April 28, 2014, 8:52 pm, KANSAS CITY, MO 64121
  • Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility, April 28, 2014, 5:14 pm, KANSAS CITY, MO 64121
  • Depart Post Office, April 28, 2014, 5:02 pm, LEBANON, MO 65536
  • Acceptance, April 28, 2014, 11:54 am, LEBANON, MO 65536
  • Electronic Shipping Info Received, April 28, 2014
- See more at: http://www.endicia.com/Status/?PIC=9405515901044234210548#sthash.kIB9OmZK.dpuf

You can see the gap in shipping info. It made me a bit nervous but they arrived just fine!

Congrats! This morning I received my 4 chicks from McMurray, but they were 4 week Olds and not day old. Everybody arrived safe and healthy too!

Congrats! This morning I received my 4 chicks from McMurray, but they were 4 week Olds and not day old. Everybody arrived safe and healthy too!
Why thanks! I have wondered about ordering older pullets like you have. It's probably nice getting them a little bit older. It's good to hear they are doing great. It's not ever nice to get a bad surprise.

I ordered my baby chicks from another hatchery and there were only 8 of them, all different breeds. They were shipped on April 7 and arrived April 9. The post office called me twice that day to come get them. I was in a meeting at work when they called the first time and I was on my way to the PO when they called the 2nd time, a few hours later after my meeting. When I arrived at the post office, all you could hear were the cheep cheep of baby chicks and I was like 'OMG! No wonder they kept calling me to come get them! The noise!" But, come to find out, the local farm stores had ordered 400 of the little cheepers and still hadn't come to pick theirs up as yet. I was like, Whew! The postal workers told me they had put my little brood in the warmest place in the back offices that they could and surrounded them with boxes in order to preserve as much heat as possible and keep them out of drafts. It seems they are used to handling baby chicks. Boxes of hundreds stay a lot warmer than a box of just a few. They took very good care of my chicks until I arrived and a couple of workers asked to see my babies. All the usual ooos and ahhhs and 'they are so cute!". I was a proud Mama and so excited that they had finally, safely arrived. The US Postal workers who handled my live shipment were exceptionally understanding and knowledgeable about the precious cargo in their possession as well as their responsibilities to ensure their safekeeping and transport. Even I was worried though about how long they stayed ' in processing'.

I ordered my baby chicks from another hatchery and there were only 8 of them, all different breeds. They were shipped on April 7 and arrived April 9. The post office called me twice that day to come get them. I was in a meeting at work when they called the first time and I was on my way to the PO when they called the 2nd time, a few hours later after my meeting. When I arrived at the post office, all you could hear were the cheep cheep of baby chicks and I was like 'OMG! No wonder they kept calling me to come get them! The noise!" But, come to find out, the local farm stores had ordered 400 of the little cheepers and still hadn't come to pick theirs up as yet. I was like, Whew! The postal workers told me they had put my little brood in the warmest place in the back offices that they could and surrounded them with boxes in order to preserve as much heat as possible and keep them out of drafts. It seems they are used to handling baby chicks. Boxes of hundreds stay a lot warmer than a box of just a few. They took very good care of my chicks until I arrived and a couple of workers asked to see my babies. All the usual ooos and ahhhs and 'they are so cute!". I was a proud Mama and so excited that they had finally, safely arrived. The US Postal workers who handled my live shipment were exceptionally understanding and knowledgeable about the precious cargo in their possession as well as their responsibilities to ensure their safekeeping and transport. Even I was worried though about how long they stayed ' in processing'.

I am glad you had a pretty good experience! It always seems things are happening when the time actually comes, such as work. My postal worker was also smiles about the co-motion. It seems that they and the hatchery did a fairly good job since all of mine and yours came in good. Funny how their was 400 more than expected at the post office. And yes, that "in processing" seems to take years to change status. lol

i was in the same state of mind when my order from cackle was shipped..altho i worried for nothing ..i did lose 2 birds the day they were delivered ..i dont blame cackle for this ..i think stress of shipping was more the trouble then anything ..i ordered 31 birds ..i split that order with a friend who's half was 15 bantam cochins and my order was 6 wellies 5pullets and one roo..and i also had 10 colum wyandottes ..they sent me 40 birds ..i still have more then i ordered even after losing 2 ..i would order from them again ..the po tracking said it would be the 10th of april , even tho the order said it would be delivered on the 9th ..i called the post off , and they put a rush on the order ..the chicks arrived on the 9th at my local po as told to me by cackle and the po called me to make sure i got my delivery on time ..i think they say they will be delivered the day later because they are figuring they will be delivered to your home and not picked up at your local po..i think we all get a little frantic when it comes to ordering threw the mail like this , but i think in most cases its for not..

i was in the same state of mind when my order from cackle was shipped..altho i worried for nothing ..i did lose 2 birds the day they were delivered ..i dont blame cackle for this ..i think stress of shipping was more the trouble then anything ..i ordered 31 birds ..i split that order with a friend who's half was 15 bantam cochins and my order was 6 wellies 5pullets and one roo..and i also had 10 colum wyandottes ..they sent me 40 birds ..i still have more then i ordered even after losing 2 ..i would order from them again ..the po tracking said it would be the 10th of april , even tho the order said it would be delivered on the 9th ..i called the post off , and they put a rush on the order ..the chicks arrived on the 9th at my local po as told to me by cackle and the po called me to make sure i got my delivery on time ..i think they say they will be delivered the day later because they are figuring they will be delivered to your home and not picked up at your local po..i think we all get a little frantic when it comes to ordering threw the mail like this , but i think in most cases its for not..

I agree the shipping is a guesswork and hope game at it's best. My chicks also arrived safely with my extra in tact. It's funny that I was worried because now like this morning when I look at them, they are all healthy, chirpy and very happy, as if they never left the hatchery in the first place. Although I know with out a doubt that they love it here at my place better! My PO delivered my chicks right to my door as stated on the ship date. They actually went out of their way to not have me come into the PO and to have my very happy PO deliver it to me. I was satisfied with the whole experience and I would definitely order again online and from Cackle.

Back
Top Bottom