hatchery oriental game breeds

My ideal poultry Malay..4 weeks old today. 6 of 8 have flat combs but the two that I think are my cockrels have what appears to be single combs.

The Saipan are 3-4 weeks.. All look good enough for my purposes.. (There are also dark Cornish, white laced red Cornish, ameraucana, barred rocks,and Russian Orloffs in the second picture.. But the Saipan's are pretty obvious

My ideal poultry Malay..4 weeks old today. 6 of 8 have flat combs but the two that I think are my cockrels have what appears to be single combs.

The Saipan are 3-4 weeks.. All look good enough for my purposes.. (There are also dark Cornish, white laced red Cornish, ameraucana, barred rocks,and Russian Orloffs in the second picture.. But the Saipan's are pretty obvious

same chick now 7 weeks old

I am glad this thread is not dead. I just got 20 of each of the different games (except asil) from Ideal to see how they are and if a few nice ones in each group can be picked out. All came in nice only one DOA Saipain, no bad legs or toes. If anyone has more pics of them as adults that would be great!

I am glad this thread is not dead. I just got 20 of each of the different games (except asil) from Ideal to see how they are and if a few nice ones in each group can be picked out. All came in nice only one DOA Saipain, no bad legs or toes. If anyone has more pics of them as adults that would be great!

Please do the same and post lots of pics! I had two of 8 Saipan chicks that had white down feathers rather than yellow from hatch.. So far I can't tell a difference it made with the feathers that came in later as both were hens.. Also the Saipan's are just now catching up in size with the other chicks.. Quite tiny at hatch.

They always have the same theme, no matter which hatchery they come from. Bad station, bad tail, short neck, no brow, wrong eyes, wrong comb etc. And saipans died out in this country in the eighties by most accounts. Most real oriental gamefowl will do poorly when artificially hatched, lots of feet issues, hard to shove feet that big into a tiny egg and depend on a machine to turn them enough to keep them from developing crooked. Plus they usually need a hen to keep them from physically harming each other once they hatch.

For a meat bird that "looks different", I just can't see the price the hatcheries charge for their "oriental games."

I would agree, I tried Ideals saipan, shamo, and malay and was not happy. Once I acquired the real deal, or as pure as I could find, I saw its night and day. The hatchery is a good start to get to know the gameness (I say this because they aren't really game but they kinda act like it) and to have different looking birds on your yard but if you find real birds they are so much better and you will be much happier.

Back
Top Bottom