hatchery RIRs

Dwen

Songster
8 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Concord, NC
We have had a small flock of TSC RIRs for almost two years now, but the more I learn about chicken breeds, the less I am convinced that they are actually Rhode Island Reds. Our chickens are a mottled white/dark orange color.
The RIRs I see at shows and on this site, however are usually evenly dark red with a definite type. What does an official Rhode Island Red look like? What do I have?

Thanks~
Dwen

red sex links, known as golden coments and cinnamon queens. The birds are crossed with several breeds to get the parent stock. most hatcherys sell them . there is a black sex link that is a cross between RIR and a barred plymouth rock. they are black with red or yellow feathers around the neck. the sex links can be sexed when they hatch by color. This is a plus for the hatchery when sexing chicks. they only other way is to look in the butt hole and that takes a trained person. I don't if its still true but a few years ago only one man could do the sexing by the butt and he traveled from on hatcher to the next to sex the chicks.
as you could iminagine this cost the hatchery big dollars.

a true RIR is red ,dark red and they always say they are shapped like a brick. the roosters will have black tail feathers .

smile.png
nevermind LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom