Hatchery SLW? (Silver Laced Wyandottes)

Morgan7782

Dense Egg Goo
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Sacramento CA
If you have a hatchery SLW please post a picture here, if you happen to have chick to adult pictures please also post those too! I am looking for pictures of Silver Laced Wyandottes that are from a hatchery such as Belt, McMurray, PetChicken, any hatchery (not from breeders). Looking for pictures of Chicks, Hens and Roosters! Any and all! Thanks

Last edited:
i have 2 slw from a hatchery, they were purchased at a feed store and the guy said he orders from more than one hatchery so unfortunately i don't know which. i think they are very pretty. this was how they looked at several weeks old when we bought them:

at close to 2 months they look like this:

i have glw from mcmurray as well, but you only asked for silver. i think they are great - i have been on the wyandotte thread since joining byc and some of the ones that are supposed to be "show quality" or "perfect examples" i don't like as much because i think they have too much light color in their feathers. i love how mine have a really thin accent instead. hope that is some help to you!

They are adorable! I will be getting mine from a local feed store and they come from Belt Hatchery. I am only now learning about Wyandottes, they are my next 'new breed'
big_smile.png
soo excited! I will be getting 3, but only keeping 1, in case of a death or cockerel. I am also getting 3 EE's as well, but only keeping 1 of those as well. Thanks for the pictures!! I would like to know what yours looks like as a grown bird so please do update
big_smile.png
thanks!

I have a few but no pics on hand, I am actually selling all but two pullets though becuase I really dont like hatchery SLW, I have some that I bought from Privett hatchery and some hatchery SLW from a friend and they are just so far off from what Wyandottes should be, they've got more of a gamey mean streek in them and they dont have near the plump roundness of a good well bred wyandotte from a breeder, and with hatchery wyandottes, you may get a few with desent lacing, but most will look like spangles or maybe a straight vertical white line through black feathers. So basicly, I do not recommend them.

i ordered my wyandottes from mcmurry and they were horrible we sold them all execpt for one that looked spangled instead of laced (most likley a disqualificatioin) and we only kept her cuz she was pretty!
i wonder if it is just something with hatchery slw's cuz ours were mean and never got plump either.Ours never really developed a nice rose comb either ; it just loked flat and never looked like a rose, just a blob. Sorry it wont let me post pics right now. will try again later.

Last edited:
I bought my SLW from a feed store. It came from a hatchery, but I don't remember which one. I'm not sure that she's going to be a good example of the breed. I'm hoping that she develops more of the "lacing". I've noticed in the last few days that more of the feathers are looking that way.

Here she is at four or so days old:
paula.jpg

This pictures is at about 4-5 weeks old:
IMG_3588.jpg

I would love to see other SLW as they grow up so I can know whether or not Paula is going to develop those laced feathers that the breed is known for.

Quote:
Nope, thats about all your gonna get. If she was going to be laced she would have lacing now. ya know, she almost looks mottled. But she is a good example of the poor coloring in hatchery wyandottes I was talking about, she shows the veritcal white line that I was talkin bout, and that mottled look wasnt what I meant by spangled, I meant mainly white with black spots, but thats still another example.

I ordered all my chicks from a hatchery (estes) and I have to say that I am disappointed in the SLW. I guess because to the untrained eye the feathers are the most noticeable thing and the feathers on mine are not great. The others like the buff orp are fine for me because body shape and all that is not as important/noticeable to me as feathers. I would get my slw from a breeder only. I was just trying to figure out how to get some grown up ones as I think I will give mine away.

35943_4_week_chick_photos_137.jpg

35943_4_week_chick_photos_140.jpg

35943_4_week_chick_photos_105.jpg

One of these was thought to be a roo. Now they both look the same. I don't know if one is a roo or not, I'm kind of thinking they are both pullets. I guess we'll see. Any one of the fancy feathered chickens I would get breeder birds.

I think the SLW are one of the breeds that hatcheries have messed up the most.....both body type and lacing.

It's a shame too because they're a beautiful bird when they're the way they're supposed to be.

Back
Top Bottom