Hatchery v. craigs list v. breeder

heiditam

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
Hmmm...which is healthiest? :/ I hear alot of hatchery bashing here, but I wonder if buying local is better.

I really wonder-are parasites and disease just something you have to deal with eventually, or could I save myself such headaches if I just buy from a hatchery all the time?

It really depends on what your goals and reasons for having birds is - are you wanting to show, breed quality birds, simply looking for eggs or meat production.........? The answer to that will have a lot to do with which source is "best" for you.

What "hatchery bashing" have you seen. A lot of what you may see as bashing could easily be the reference to "hatchery grade" birds - which is not a bash, but a statement of fact and is not about health (so much) but the over all quality of the bird and how closely it meets the SOP for the breed in question. For purposes of getting into breeding quality stock that conforms to SOP or for showing, the fact is that hatchery stock is not going to meet your needs. For those purposes, you would want/need to source your stock from a breeder who is producing birds of the quality you would need and want for your own program. If your purpose, though, is production, then hatchery birds are a fabulous (and much more affordable) option - the birds are often fairly far from their breed's intended characteristics due to a focus on quantity vs. quality, but that is to be expected.

Last edited:
There is always a risk buying from local breeders, since there are so many carrier diseases. If you find someone locally that you can get to know, and who has a good reputation, it may be safer that getting birds from an unknown breeder. Feed store birds come from a hatchery, but even they can be exposed to disease in the store. I have had good luck with hatchery birds, and you can get them vaccinated for Mareks diseases, and sometimes coccidiosis, depending on the hatchery. Those two diseases can be devastating to flocks. Hatchery birds shipped a long way can suffer from shipping stress, though, and shipping them during milder weather (not hot or cold,) and from the nearest hatchery to you so they aren't in the mail too long would be best. What state are you located in?

It really depends on what your goals and reasons for having birds is - are you wanting to show, breed quality birds, simply looking for eggs or meat production.........? The answer to that will have a lot to do with which source is "best" for you.

What "hatchery bashing" have you seen. A lot of what you may see as bashing could easily be the reference to "hatchery grade" birds - which is not a bash, but a statement of fact and is not about health (so much) but the over all quality of the bird and how closely it meets the SOP for the breed in question. For purposes of getting into breeding quality stock that conforms to SOP or for showing, the fact is that hatchery stock is not going to meet your needs.

You are right-goals...mine are egg production...maybe hatchery bashing is too harsh-I just see alot of threads about how hatchery birds can still be sick and that their breeding has ruined the lines...

I bought chickens from CL, word of mouth, and a breeder and I just finished treating them for lice and mites and now worms...

Buying juveniles via hatchery is pricey(shipping) but I wonder if I would deal with less parasites if I did that, or do worms/lice/mites have a way of finding ALL birds?

There is always a risk buying from local breeders, since there are so many carrier diseases. If you find someone locally that you can get to know, and who has a good reputation, it may be safer that getting birds from an unknown breeder. Feed store birds come from a hatchery, but even they can be exposed to disease in the store. I have had good luck with hatchery birds, and you can get them vaccinated for Mareks diseases, and sometimes coccidiosis, depending on the hatchery. Those two diseases can be devastating to flocks. Hatchery birds shipped a long way can suffer from shipping stress, though, and shipping them during milder weather (not hot or cold,) and from the nearest hatchery to you so they aren't in the mail too long would be best. What state are you located in?

TN. :) If you know of a hatchery near me let me know. :) I plan on getting 4 more birds after I am sure my current flock is healthy...and I think I am leaning towards hatchery.

Well buying local can get you just as good birds then buying from a hatchery but you got to find the right people. The people who keep records, are on top of the health of the birds
And truly trying to raise quality birds
Because unlike the hatchery that has set standards not all the people selling local does

TN. :) If you know of a hatchery near me let me know. :) I plan on getting 4 more birds after I am sure my current flock is healthy...and I think I am leaning towards hatchery.
Just so you know, if you are having any with a respiratory disease, those diseases will make carriers of the whole flock. There is Mt. Healthy in Cincinnati, Ideal in Texas, Cackle in Missouri, McMurray in Iowa, and the one I have used is Meyer in Polk, Ohio. I found a listing for this one in TN on the web, but don't know much about it, but you may be able to drive there and pick them up: http://www.poultryhollow.org/

Just so you know, if you are having any with a respiratory disease, those diseases will make carriers of the whole flock. There is Mt. Healthy in Cincinnati, Ideal in Texas, Cackle in Missouri, McMurray in Iowa, and the one I have used is Meyer in Polk, Ohio. I found a listing for this one in TN on the web, but don't know much about it, but you may be able to drive there and pick them up: http://www.poultryhollow.org/

No respiratory symptoms--just treated these birds for lice and mites. :/ Pre-emptively just treated them for worms too. :/ Hoping they are healthy and happy soon...not totally infested-only one was bad off-rest seem okay but...its gross! And I hope it gets better, and if I can avoid this, well, that'd be great!

Back
Top Bottom