Hatchery vs Breeder Silkies

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hokankai, Mar 12, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Songster

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    So I'm still deciding whether or not I want to get a pair of silkies to raise this spring. I was wondering if there was a big difference in looks in silkies from hatcheries (a small hatchery) or from a breeder. I don't want to show or anything, but I don't want scraggly looking birds either.

What are the major differences?

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Feathering and beards from what I have seen. Toes sometimes also.

3. Winggedheart

Winggedheart Songster

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    And sometimes skin color. Sometimes.

4. IHeartPeeps

IHeartPeeps In the Brooder

Mar 12, 2011
    St. George
    I've got a great silkie from a hatchery... five toes.. black skin and the sweetest disposition. [​IMG] She's been dust bathing in the red dirt, otherwise she's bright white.. very special addition to my flock.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Most, but not all, Silkies from hatcheries are not as cute, fluffy, full bodied, or true to type as good quality/"show quality" Silkies.

It doesn't matter if one wants to show or not, I always recommend "show quality" bred ones. Way cuter.

Hatchery type Silkies are often missing the 5th toe, have too light of skin, have too big and ugly of a comb and/or wattles, have weird temperaments, have stringy, straggly, or normal, non-fuzzy looking feathers, and quite often just plain look like a dirty or wet rat.

Now, the one hatchery Silkie cockerel I met, he was far more laid back than the 10 Cochin cockerels with him, but still, he was ugly. I like Silkies to be fluffy, full-bodied in appearance, and good looking.

6. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Songster

Sep 1, 2008
    These are not hatchery stock.
    They do not cost more to feed than the ones that come from a hatchery.
    You choose what you want to spend your money on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. hokankai

hokankai Songster

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Those birds are absolutely gorgeous! I got in contact with Karen from Catdance and will e-mail her a couple weeks before I want a chick from her. Yay!

8. Quote:Good Choice! [​IMG] I have a nice little buff pullet I hatched from her eggs last year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: