Can I keep bantams with my LF hens?

Party_Chicken

Crowing
Feb 1, 2023
Anywhere with chickens
My Coop
My Coop
Ok heres the deal the pull of cute little silkies has gotten to me I have found myself scrolling through pictures and variations of silkies. I want them sooooooo much. For my spring order I want to have either splash silkie, white silkie and porcelain d'uccle or splash silkie, porcelain and mille fleur d'uccles. Can I keep these breeds with my LF flock? I don't have a rooster due to the fact my cockerel passed away a few days ago. What would be the better order? I'm looking to purchase from Meyer hatchery. Let me know you thoughts!

Personally I would keep silkies with other silkies or other gentle bantam breeds. They can be prone to being bullied. If your coop is very large with a large run you might be able to keep them together, but I'd be cautious. They will almost always be at the bottom of the pecking order in a mixed flock which can sometimes be stressful.

The answer is "maybe." Some folks have a varied flock without issue, others have endless problems. If you are willing and able to house them separately if they don't integrate well with your existing flock, then there's no reason not to get them. If that's not an option then you'll need a backup plan in case things don't go well.

I've kept bantams and large fowl together on several different occasions, and have never had an issue. Just these last past three years I've kept Buckeyes and Seramas together.

The size difference is not much of an issue with just hens, but Silkies tend to be very docile and have crests and feathered feet that other birds sometimes like to pull. It will depend on your current flock dynamics and space. It might work, but be prepared with a backup plan.

I have two coops but they are in the same run. In theory I could keep them separate but it would be a hassle. My hens have a bunch of little groups inside the pecking order. Should I do the d’Uccles with them? I know silkies love other silkies.

Back
Top Bottom