Hatchery vs breeder stock

My Avatar photo is of one of my Buff Orpington hens that I got from Cackle Hatchery in March 2017. In my opinion they should be good sized birds with an abundance of feathers as this one is. This particular hen is the largest one in my mixed flock of 3 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Turkens, 3 Cuckoo Marans, 3 Austra Whites, 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes and 2 Golden Comets.
Your avatar buff orpington looks like way better quality than any of mine.

In my quest for off grid, incubatorless chicken rearing capabilities, I tried buff orpingtons from several sources. Very few ever went broody. None were very reliable, as in, the days are getting longer, should have some broodies. The ones that did were very mediocre at best. I find that the big fluffy body type is not all that desirable for raising chicks, way less sanitary, probably has potential to introduce bacteria and lower hatch rates.

But egg production is something that, if bred for, goes in direct opposition to broodiness. Selecting for egg production will also select for a body type. A hatchery, because of the business model involved, could start with pure breeder sourced birds, and end up with a high egg producing leghorn style bird. The bird that lays the most eggs will pass on the most genes, and also be the most desirable because it fills orders.

In my quest for off grid, incubatorless chicken rearing capabilities, I tried buff orpingtons from several sources. Very few ever went broody. None were very reliable, as in, the days are getting longer, should have some broodies. The ones that did were very mediocre at best. I find that the big fluffy body type is not all that desirable for raising chicks, way less sanitary, probably has potential to introduce bacteria and lower hatch rates.

But egg production is something that, if bred for, goes in direct opposition to broodiness. Selecting for egg production will also select for a body type. A hatchery, because of the business model involved, could start with pure breeder sourced birds, and end up with a high egg producing leghorn style bird. The bird that lays the most eggs will pass on the most genes, and also be the most desirable because it fills orders.
There is a local breeder about 5 miles from me that sells rare heritage breeds.
I asked her out of all the breeds she sells which ones are inclined towards broodiness.
She told me her Javas and Barnevelars are the most broody.
She said about 50% of them go broody every year.
I think I might get some from her next spring.

I asked her out of all the breeds she sells which ones are inclined towards broodiness.

I like this approach. :thumbsup

I'm getting close to 100% broodiness starting as early as six months of age and up to five broods a year out of my oriental games.

Back
Top Bottom