Hatchery vs. Local Feed Store

I have been wanting to get a silver laced Wyandotte but I am getting bantams this weekend, can I raise a standard chicken with a bantam, would they get along

I got my chicks from Murray Mcmurray Hatchery 2 years in a row and in all that time I've only ever had 1 chick die. And, think about it: that feed store got their chicks from a hatchery too. Plus, the chicks are around lots of grubby, little hands picking them up and sneezing on them. :) The feed stores always charge a lot more for chicks than a hatchery. You will be fine purchasing hatchery chicks.

I got my chicks from Murray Mcmurray Hatchery 2 years in a row and in all that time I've only ever had 1 chick die. And, think about it: that feed store got their chicks from a hatchery too. Plus, the chicks are around lots of grubby, little hands picking them up and sneezing on them. :) The feed stores always charge a lot more for chicks than a hatchery. You will be fine purchasing hatchery chicks.
Where at in Idaho are your?

I got my chicks from Murray Mcmurray Hatchery 2 years in a row and in all that time I've only ever had 1 chick die. And, think about it: that feed store got their chicks from a hatchery too. Plus, the chicks are around lots of grubby, little hands picking them up and sneezing on them. :) The feed stores always charge a lot more for chicks than a hatchery. You will be fine purchasing hatchery chicks. 

I can't speak for ALL feed stores, but I can say that the three that I've been to in my area charge a very fair price for their baby chicks that is equal to (or even cheaper than) hatcheries like McMurray, Meyer, etc. I think there are pros and cons with both options.

Back
Top Bottom