Hatchery vs. Local Feed Store

I have been wanting to get a silver laced Wyandotte but I am getting bantams this weekend, can I raise a standard chicken with a bantam, would they get along

The secret to getting exactly what you want is often to order it from a hatchery online months in advance (unless you personally know a breeder who will hook you up). I ordered my silver laced Wyandottes two months before their shipping date. About two weeks later, they were sold out for the entire season.

Last edited:
I don't order from hatchery's because when my orders 25 from one and they all died with In 2 days, I go to our local feed store called Parrish General, the chickens they have are always in great shape, I have only had one die but the rest are fine, I have 6 standard chickens and 2 bantams

Find a local hatchery if the feed stir does not have the chicks you want! Yes I am at school too and I have chicks all the time they will be fine feed and water tell someone to check a time or two a day! Water dish should be very shallow and put marbles in there so they drink but don't fall in or get a chick waterer. DO NOT put wood shavings in with them they will eat them and die! Keep the heat lamp on one side of the container so they can get but if they want to be cool they go to the other side! And sex them
How old do they have to be to sex them?

When I was a commercial chicken farmer I routinely received orders of day old pullets for replacement layers. These replacement chicks numbered in the thousands. I never lost 25 chicks within 2 days unless the power failed. I fail to see how an experienced chicken raiser could loose that many chicks (100% out of 25) in only 48 hours.

My local feed store posts their schedule of deliveries online so you can see what breeds they're getting for the next 3 months. Now I just have to make myself wait until April 23... :(

Back
Top Bottom