Hatchery Whiting True Blues

Pics

fat brown hen

Songster
Jun 12, 2022
I'm ordering Whiting True Blues from Murray McMurray. The descriptions say that feather colors vary widely -- do they try to breed for different colors and send a variety, or does every batch look about the same? I'm hoping to get something that looks like the cover photo for Whitings; not sure if that's representative of the breed or something like a rare Pokemon card.
whiting.png

Some years ago, I ordered 4 males and got:
1 white
1 sort-of silver columbian (had stripes as a chick, sort-of like a chipmunk)
2 blues (1 with a beard, 1 without. I can't remember whether one of the other colors was also bearded or not checked my notes: three clean-faced, one bearded blue.)

None had the coloring of the bird in the photo
None had red/gold color visible anywhere

I know that is a very small sample size. Hopefully other people can chime in too :)

Last edited:
Apparently they come in all kinds of colors; the blue egg-laying is the one constant.

My beloved Martha is white with some silver-gray splashes and a pea comb, and is a champion blue egg layer, very friendly (though very flighty until her hormones hit & she started squatting for me; since then she's fine with handling). I haven't seen photos of other WTBs that have her coloring.

TexasBlues, it'll be great fun to see how your chicks look when they grow up!

I'm ordering Whiting True Blues from Murray McMurray. The descriptions say that feather colors vary widely -- do they try to breed for different colors and send a variety, or does every batch look about the same? I'm hoping to get something that looks like the cover photo for Whitings; not sure if that's representative of the breed or something like a rare Pokemon card.
View attachment 3719278
I was looking at those and considering ordering myself at some point in the future, maybe this year maybe next - not sure yet. When you get them can you please keep us updated on how they turn out, I'd be curious to know. Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom