Hatching: Again, to help or not to help?

Is she making any attempt to try and push herself out? I would be inclined to keep chipping at the shell a little at a time- making sure membrane stays moist and then seeing what the chick does. I did twice have to help out with the membrane too- one chick was very weak so I had to take it all off, the other was malpositioned. Weak chick took awhile to come around the malpositioned chick once I opened the membrane slightly she instantly started pushing herself out- both chicks were fine afterwards. There is the chance of messing up and causing damage when assisting which is why you have to go very slow but I’ve had a chick die when I didn’t intervene (malpositioned) so I’m personally more pushed to help out.
It is a personal decision and a very tough call to make

Is she making any attempt to try and push herself out? I would be inclined to keep chipping at the shell a little at a time- making sure membrane stays moist and then seeing what the chick does. I did twice have to help out with the membrane too- one chick was very weak so I had to take it all off, the other was malpositioned. Weak chick took awhile to come around the malpositioned chick once I opened the membrane slightly she instantly started pushing herself out- both chicks were fine afterwards. There is the chance of messing up and causing damage when assisting which is why you have to go very slow but I’ve had a chick die when I didn’t intervene (malpositioned) so I’m personally more pushed to help out.
I feel like the open hole (in the picture) shrink wrapped a little even though I applied oil on the membrane where I peeled the shell off, because I can see a gap between the shell and the membrane. She’s chirping and kicking hard. She poked thru the membrane and opened it up for about and inch. But still hasn’t zipped. It’s 14 hours now from piping.

Attachments

• B8885EA2-3AC1-4715-AB28-12DE63352211.jpeg
    B8885EA2-3AC1-4715-AB28-12DE63352211.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 5
Here's what I do to mine with great results. I typically wait until one hatches to help keep the humidity up as high as I can get it and have never had an issue with shrink wrapping. Time also causes shrink wrapping. This helps the chick get air which causes blood flow and absorbing of the last nutrients and blood to spin and poke as they zip. Its worked great for us. Hope you helped your little one make it out.

Attachments

• 20230124_032413.jpg
    20230124_032413.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 5
You are so right!
I went to bed thinking I’ll give it a couple of hours. At 3:30am woke up, and didn’t hear chirping. I immediately took the egg out and she was shrink wrapped badly. I quickly put oil and touched the membrane with my wet fingers (dipped in warm water) and cut the membrane out. I put her back in a bit to keep her warm, took out and removed membrane again. The whole process was like 30 seconds, I felt like I’m a surgeon who had some life or death moment (literally). She is one determined baby, really strong but the shrink-wrap weakened her quite a bit. Now will see how it goes.

Here's what I do to mine with great results. I typically wait until one hatches to help keep the humidity up as high as I can get it and have never had an issue with shrink wrapping. Time also causes shrink wrapping. This helps the chick get air which causes blood flow and absorbing of the last nutrients and blood to spin and poke as they zip. It’s worked great for us. Hope you helped your little one make it out.
I still have one more in there no pip. I candled and could see the feathers. It’s the dawn of day#23 now. I wonder if I should poke a small hole like this this morning or wait.

You are so right!
I went to bed thinking I’ll give it a couple of hours. At 3:30am woke up, and didn’t hear chirping. I immediately took the egg out and she was shrink wrapped badly. I quickly put oil and touched the membrane with my wet fingers (dipped in warm water) and cut the membrane out. I put her back in a bit to keep her warm, took out and removed membrane again. The whole process was like 30 seconds, I felt like I’m a surgeon who had some life or death moment (literally). She is one determined baby, really strong but the shrink-wrap weakened her quite a bit. Now will see how it goes.
Great that she’s out now! Keep posting updates would be good to see how she does

She is a warrior! Fighting hard to stay alive. But she is getting dry a lot slowlier than normal. I guess that’s because of all the olive oil I applied on the membrane to get her out. Do you all know how to help chicks get dry faster after being oiled on during assisted out of the eggs? Or should I just let her be ?

Attachments

• 391FFAB5-B1A7-4D09-89D0-18FFA632B345.jpeg
    391FFAB5-B1A7-4D09-89D0-18FFA632B345.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 5
She is a warrior! Fighting hard to stay alive. But she is getting dry a lot slowlier than normal. I guess that’s because of all the olive oil I applied on the membrane to get her out. Do you all know how to help chicks get dry faster after being oiled on during assisted out of the eggs? Or should I just let her be ?
I would let her be for now. I’ve never had an issue with a chick not drying after an assisted hatch. Is there any update on your other egg?

I would let her be for now. I’ve never had an issue with a chick not drying after an assisted hatch. Is there any update on your other egg?
No, it’s still sitting in there like a rock. I haven’t candled again since last night. I’ll wait until noon then will drill a hole on the air sack as in the instructions. Will keep you all posted.

No, it’s still sitting in there like a rock. I haven’t candled again since last night. I’ll wait until noon then will drill a hole on the air sack as in the instructions. Will keep you all posted.
Putting in a safety hole in the shell is safe with a chick that’s internally pipped but if the chick has not internally pipped the safety hole is likely to kill the chick. Too much oxygen when he isn’t ready.
Candle and check for an internal pip- if there is an internal pip go ahead with the safety hole - if no internal pip check for movement- if there is movement he may just be a late Hatcher. I would leave it be if there is no internal pip. Chick could have died but could also just not be ready

Back
Top Bottom