1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching at 5800ft

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dak, Oct 2, 2010.

1. dak

dak geek dvm

Mar 21, 2010
    Does anyone have experience hatching at this elevation??? I have been hatching for roughly 6 months now, and have had very discouraging results. I am using a hovabator genesis 1588 with automatic turner. I have multiple calibrated hydrometers and thermometers. It is not an option to obtain eggs laid at this altitude for the varieties I'm interested in. Does anyone have actual experience in this environment?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

There was a big thread a year or two on high altitude hatching. I did a search but didn't find it. Maybe someone else has a link to it.

3. dak

dak geek dvm

Mar 21, 2010
    Quote:The most info I found on BYC has been breed related. Some fast growing varieties don't do well. I've found very little searching the web either. [​IMG]

4. rebelcowboysnb

The old thread went in to detail about all kinds of verables an people were talking about adding O2 an all kinds of other stuff. Ill keep looking.

5. dak

dak geek dvm

Mar 21, 2010
    Quote:Thanks for the help! I'm not sure if there is a practical way to increase O2. From one source I read that eegs laid at lower altitudes lose water more quickly due to increased pore area. I have tried to increase humidity some, but have been afraid to get too aggressive. The majority of my unexpected losses seem to be at about day 19-20. The chicks are mostly developed and have some of their yolk absorbed but don't internally pip. It seems like this is the time of increased O2 demand.

6. dak

dak geek dvm

Mar 21, 2010
    Quote:Yes, supplemental O2 would likely help. Equipment, and cost could be a significant factor.

7. rebelcowboysnb

Ok the real issue is air pressure. The air is to spread out.

What if you take a container like a barrel that seals. Put the incubator down in it seal it up. Put two nipples on it. Run a hose from one to a aquarium pump an run another hose in to a bucket of water.

You could adjust the pressure by how far the hose was in the water. That would make a effective barometric chamber that could get you to below sea level if ya wanted.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  8. dak

dak geek dvm

Mar 21, 2010
    Quote:Rebel, WOW you obviously were awake in physics class unlike myself. I can almost envision that.

9. rebelcowboysnb

Figuring out how to add water or to get in it to help a chick out may be an issue.

Ya probably only need about a few PSI though so it wouldn't take anything strong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by