Hatching at high altitude

I love my brinsea! I am at about 6000 on the western slope of colorado. I hatch because I have room and I love the experience. Get in touch with the Colorado thread you may find someone closer than you think with the breeds you are looking for. There is a gal I know that buys from the hatchery and resells chicks all spring, she brings in breeds that the local places do not and seems to have luck getting them sold.
Thank you so much!!!!

Hello all!
I moved a year ago to EL7100 in New Mexico and about to try hatching our own eggs in an incubator for the first time. We’ve always used a broody before.
My question is: what type of incubator have you fellow high altituders used with success?
I’ve heard that in dry climates a still air incubator is better for higher humidity. The other issue we have is that our house is very old and not very well insulated so I’m thinking a styrofoam incubator would be better for insulation.
Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Hello all!
I moved a year ago to EL7100 in New Mexico and about to try hatching our own eggs in an incubator for the first time. We’ve always used a broody before.
My question is: what type of incubator have you fellow high altituders used with success?
I’ve heard that in dry climates a still air incubator is better for higher humidity. The other issue we have is that our house is very old and not very well insulated so I’m thinking a styrofoam incubator would be better for insulation.
Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
I use several... right now I have my brinsea ovation 56 ex full and 16 Turkey eggs In a Harris farms nurture rite 360 in lockdown due feb 1st. I like the brinsea best for the incubation period because it has the humidity pump..... so I can set it where I want it and the bator takes care of maintaining the correct level. It also seems to be rock solid for the temperature holding it just right at 99.5. I have both of them in the best insulated room of the house and run s small space heater to keep the room as constant as possible. I do like the nurture rite 360 because it is easy to get the humidity up for lockdown and hatching time. I started hatching on Jan 1st and it looks like I will be running almost weekly hatches for a while, I discovered folks in my area are interested in turkeys, of course a few Nn may find their way into the bator.

I use several... right now I have my brinsea ovation 56 ex full and 16 Turkey eggs In a Harris farms nurture rite 360 in lockdown due feb 1st. I like the brinsea best for the incubation period because it has the humidity pump..... so I can set it where I want it and the bator takes care of maintaining the correct level. It also seems to be rock solid for the temperature holding it just right at 99.5. I have both of them in the best insulated room of the house and run s small space heater to keep the room as constant as possible. I do like the nurture rite 360 because it is easy to get the humidity up for lockdown and hatching time. I started hatching on Jan 1st and it looks like I will be running almost weekly hatches for a while, I discovered folks in my area are interested in turkeys, of course a few Nn may find their way into the bator.
Thanks for the reply! I’ve been looking at the nurture right incubator as it seems really good for the money. What elevation are you at and what have your hatch rates been like with your own eggs?

Thanks for the reply! I’ve been looking at the nurture right incubator as it seems really good for the money. What elevation are you at and what have your hatch rates been like with your own eggs?
I am right at 6000 feet ... I have not ran a set with just the 360 I seem to keep it busy hatching on a weekly basis. My batch that is due this weekend started out with 18 eggs and went into lockdown last night with 16. The one before that I think i set 22 and hatched 18?? I forget to wright these things down. but doing much better than my first bator(cheap Chinese knockoff) where I would start with 40 eggs and get maybe 4.
The other less expensive good model I keep hearing good things about is the incuview.... I seriously considered it at the same time I bought the 360. ended up with the 360 because I could grab it locally and it was a little cheaper. Both hold 22 eggs and from all the reviews on byc look to be a solid investment.

Just finished up my latest hatch .... started with 18 eggs went into lockdown with 16 and hatched 13..... much better than last year ! Of course these were turkey
Great news! I’ve settled on going with the 360 incubator. Now if my Faverolles would start laying, I could test it out.

Just finished up my latest hatch .... started with 18 eggs went into lockdown with 16 and hatched 13..... much better than last year ! Of course these were turkey
20190204_185606.jpg
the babies from my last hatch

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to start hatch #2 after a 4/12 success rate of hatch #1. Best I can figure is our humidity was super hard to keep constant during incubation and lockdown and I didn't realize I needed to take out the red air plugs the whole time! :barnie

We decided to upgrade our incubator, but aren't able to spend thousands of dollars. Does anyone have any favorites that will hold more than 10 eggs at a time and controls humidity without a huge price tag?

Ohh yeah and our elevation is about 6,515 ft. and we live in SW Colorado, so we are super dry as a rule of thumb.

Back
Top Bottom