Hatching babies have a question

Bsranch3

Chirping
Apr 14, 2015
Swampy Louisiana
My hatch is going well, they started hatching yesterday morning and are still hatching! When do I pull the dry chicks out of the incubator? Should I wait until everyone hatches before opening it?

Hi there,
I usually leave them in there for 24 hours to dry off.
Don't worry about them having no food or water
Because they soak up the yolk before they hatch which lets
Them survive for 3 days.
If there are other chicks hatching just try to take the chicks out quickly and close the incubator
Everytime you take a chick out.
When the chicks are in their brooder just give them food and water.
Goodluck
Fionn.

Thanks! Some of the have been hatched and in there for 24 hours now... And some are just now hatching! I knew they would be ok for one day but didn't know how long they could or should stay in there past the 24 hours! Never had so many eggs in one box at one time... New to quail. I'm good with ducks!

Hi there
Sorry I got mixed up quail with chickens.
Chickens can survive in the incubator for 3 days but quail
Can survive for 24-30 hours.
I would take them out now just in case
Sorry for confusion
Fionn.

Last edited:
Ok thanks!!!

My hatch is going well, they started hatching yesterday morning and are still hatching! When do I pull the dry chicks out of the incubator? Should I wait until everyone hatches before opening it?
I hatched my first batch last Saturday-Sunday and I had the exact same question. In my case it was chickens but I'm guessing quail are similar. Anyway I read to leave them in there until all are hatched so you don't open the incubator/hatcher and mess up the humidity/temp. I was worried though because the newly hatched chicks were moving around a lot and bumping into the eggs that hadn't hatched yet. I posed the question on here and several experienced people told me it's ok to remove them so I did and all went well. I waited until they were dry in the hatcher before removing them because I read they can succumb easily if you remove them while wet. Anyway all worked out good so in the future I plan to do the same thing in removing them when they're dry.

Yes that's how I did my ducks.. But it was a much smaller batch at one time so they all came out at once.. I have some babies that they keep laying on their bellies with their legs out to the sides... Something wrong with them?

Back
Top Bottom