Hatching Buddies? Button Quail Eggs Due 9/10. HATCHING NOW!!!! PICS!!!

Quote:
We had one of these years ago that came with 6 quail eggs. We actually had great results and all 6 hatched. We got it for grins and giggles not really expecting much and was so pleased it worked.
The dimmer is a great idea! May I ask what you added as a mini heat sink? The thing is so little and I cant really tell from your picture.

I hope it works out well for you and to see pics of the little ones later.

Quote:
We had one of these years ago that came with 6 quail eggs. We actually had great results and all 6 hatched. We got it for grins and giggles not really expecting much and was so pleased it worked.
The dimmer is a great idea! May I ask what you added as a mini heat sink? The thing is so little and I cant really tell from your picture.

Sure!! The reason you can't see the heat sinks is because they're under the mesh and the eggs. I have these "reusable icecubes" that I bought. They are just mini closed packs of water that you freeze. I unfroze them and heated them up to incubation temperature and put 6 in there under the mesh. It works fantastically and keeps the heat in VERY well.

I just took this picture.

I haven't lost any more eggs since day 3. I just candled them and today is day 11. All 8 eggs have moving babies inside!! The temperature is staying at 100.3 which is a perfect temperature for still air. Humidity 40%. All going well!
smile.png

I've been trying to get the pointy end as down as I can. I heard that if the large end is up then I will get less deaths right before hatching due to incorrect position.
64972_dscn3216.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:

Sure!! The reason you can't see the heat sinks is because they're under the mesh and the eggs. I have these "reusable icecubes" that I bought. They are just mini closed packs of water that you freeze. I unfroze them and heated them up to incubation temperature and put 6 in there under the mesh. It works fantastically and keeps the heat in VERY well.

What a great Idea for a heat sink!
I've read some use jars of water, that's why I was wondering how you did it. No room for a jar.
lol.png

I'm glad to see they are still doing well! That's great!
clap.gif

I will be ordering an incubator Tuesday and eggs. Cant wait!
Love the little fuzzies!

Keeping good thoughts for yours!

Quote:

What a great Idea for a heat sink!
I've read some use jars of water, that's why I was wondering how you did it. No room for a jar.
lol.png

I'm glad to see they are still doing well! That's great!
clap.gif

I will be ordering an incubator Tuesday and eggs. Cant wait!
Love the little fuzzies!

Keeping good thoughts for yours!

Good for you! What kind of incubator and eggs are you getting? Use water bottles as heat sinks. They are perfect. The fake icecube idea is great because they are like mini water bottles that fit in the mini incubator
tongue.png

aw little button eggs. I hatched some buttons a long time ago, there was a really cute white one. But I didn't know the other quail I kept the buttons with (different kinds of bobwhite) would be cannibalistic and pecked them to death. Definately learned a lesson there..good luck with your hatch!

I lowered the dimmer today because i thought it would be hot today but when i came back home after 6 hours the temperature was 97.9!!! AHH!!!
barnie.gif

Quote:
thank you! what will you be setting??

I will be trying for the second time to hatch chamois Sebright eggs.
big_smile.png

My first go, only one made it to lockdown, then pipped internally at the wrong end of the egg so couldn't breathe. Needless to say, I found this out too late to save it.
sad.png

I have Houdan eggs due on the 10th it's our first ever hatch and with shipped eggs to boot. We have a total of 12 eggs and I'm pretty sure that 8 are still developing, the other three were questionable so we left them. The past 48 hours I feel like an expectant mom, I've been checking the temp (even though it stays stable unless I mess with it) every couple hours and getting the brooder all ready. I think I might even be more excited then my two daughters who are doing this for 4H.

Back
Top Bottom