Hatching/Caring for New Duck Eggs

IMG_2279.JPG
IMG_2280.JPG
Any update?

Update on mine..... I had them sitting vertical since yesterday mid evening. And I candled them this morning and I think one is dead or something because I don't know what I'm looking at. So here are the two eggs. One is a a saddle bag air sac and the other is just maybe dead??? I don't know

I have had ducklings before as well as baby chicks, but I have never hatched them until now! I have about two dozen duck eggs in my incubator. I kind of need a step by step DO and DO NOT DO list. I have read so many things, I feel like I am going to miss something. Is there an overview or a basic way it goes?
Hatching: I know I have to let them do it themselves. Do I spray the eggs at all? Does the temp stay the same? Do I continue to flip them? What if something goes wrong? I've been reading horror stories about suffocating and not getting out in time. :(

Once they hatch: I know they need heat. Can I just use a heat lamp? I know they need water to drink that they can't swim in. Do I use shavings or newspaper? Is regular chick starter feed okay to feed them? Do they need to be kept in a closed container or can it be open?

Sorry for all of the questions, I have a million things I am thinking about. I want to keep as many alive as I can! To anyone who takes the time to answer this, THANK YOU!!! I appreciate it.
Yes, use a heat lamp until their feathers are in. Place or so they can get a little ways from it off the are too warm. If they huddle under it they are cold. I buy non gmo chick started to start them on. Small water bowl that they can't tip. After a while add since peas or chopped spinach bits to the water for them. They grow fast.

Yes, use a heat lamp until their feathers are in. Place or so they can get a little ways from it off the are too warm. If they huddle under it they are cold. I buy non gmo chick started to start them on. Small water bowl that they can't tip. After a while add since peas or chopped spinach bits to the water for them. They grow fast.
Awesome. I am so excited!

View attachment 840088 View attachment 840096 Any update?

Update on mine..... I had them sitting vertical since yesterday mid evening. And I candled them this morning and I think one is dead or something because I don't know what I'm looking at. So here are the two eggs. One is a a saddle bag air sac and the other is just maybe dead??? I don't know
I cant tell, I don't do the candling :l My pips are getting bigger! I think maybe starting to "zip" still just the two eggs though. I have been checking like crazy. Going to work is so hard- I don't want to miss a minute.
Is there any way to tell if one is stuck? The one the piped first is further behind than the second one to pip- he is going fast! Is the first one maybe stuck or "shrink wrapped"?

WE HAVE A DUCK!!!!! one baby hatched! I am so excited. The second one is on its way! The first seems to be doing okay. Peeping and moving its head. I have a video- I will upload soon, don't mind my annoying peeps! I am filled with LOVE!!:love So I am supposed to leave this guy in here until the rest hatch?!

Two ducks have hatched!! One other has piped for sure! The glass is getting too cloudy for me to see, but as far as I can tell these two are doing well. I cannot upload my video but I have pictures! :)

Attachments

• IMG_0333.JPG
    IMG_0333.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0331.JPG
    IMG_0331.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 3
It's been a while, but I got 9 ducklings out of that incubation! All are doing well! Tail feathers are starting to come in finally! We do have one, Ray, who seems to have vision problems. His eyes were goopy for a few days but we cleaned them twice a day and they look a lot better. He is a lot smaller than the rest, I think he was the last to hatch. They love swimming and playing! I'm so excited for our next batch and so much more confident! Thanks everyone for all of your help & support!

Back
Top Bottom