Hatching chicks and ducklings together?

I am hatching call ducks, who are notoriously bad for breaking their shells. He had his hole open but was struggling until I figured out that he was so stuck in there with the humidity at 65% that I raised it to 75% and the other three ducklings hatched fine at that point.
Call Ducks will ALWAYS struggle, rising the humidity is not necessary the Cure, they have small beaks and small necks, this makes it harder for them to escape. Your lucky they got out with that high of a humidity. 75% doesn't kill them but it's definitely a boarder line..

Actually, it depends upon the duck. I've raised Welsh Harlequin ducks for almost a decade, and they've routinely only taken 23 days to hatch.
wink.png
Agree, it all depends on what kind of ducks, Calls take 26 where a Muscovy will take 35

Thats what i meant ahah
lol.png

That wont be a problem i have a manuel egg uncubator, i have hatched them before but is it better to turn more than three times a day, because i havent hatched any in an incubator since 2 years ago (was borrowing broody's) and i was a bit of a rookie
hmm.png
i hadnt a had a good hatch rate with my last hatch, saying that i didnt know that u wernt really meant to open it while they were hatching, as they can shrink wrap (didnt even know what that was
lol.png
) i had one out sitting on a paper towel watching it peck its way out
hmm.png
i didnt know
sad.png
. Oh well live and learn (geel so mean now i was sort of watching it die :'(
Can ducks and chicks eat the same food at the start (chick crumb) or do they need different? By the way thanks about the green snotty stuff if i had seen it i would of thought the chick was diseased and was gonna die or soemthing not used to hatching ducks ahah, first timer, have only ever done chicks
So should i wait till they have all hatched to lift them out?
If all the chicks have hatched and the ducks have pipped should i lift out the chicks and raise humidity to 70%, or 75% to help out the ducks ?

Thanks all have helped me alot ahah id have been lost with out u's
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

your best bet is to just leave your humidity at 65. You never said what kind of ducks you were hatching???

Just wanted to say I hatch pheasants, ducks, peafowl and geese all in the same incubator and at all different times im dropping eggs in. Im in and out of my 2 bators alot. Dont worry about "lockdown" at all. Just when you open the bator. Have a simple spray bottle handy with lukewarm water handy and spray a couple times over the eggs and all. Bam! Instant humidity. Hope this helps you have less worrying.lol!

I have done that as well, I treated a hatching just as I did normally, opened it three times a day as if I was turning them during lockdown etc.... but I would not suggest any new comers this because of risk of carelessness. More experience hatchers, we have the knowledge to handle our errors or how to correct them.

I do f know ahaha my friend just have them to me and forgot to ask :lol: guess we'll have to wait and see :)

Back
Top Bottom