Hatching chicks and need advice.

Amreid

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2021
Hi all! 2 of our broody hens were sitting on 4 eggs. This morning when I fed, we had a baby chick. I barely caught a glimpse of it but it looked to be doing well before it ran back under the hen. I put some chick starter and water in the coop and one of our non broody hens keep attacking the two broody hens whenever I peek in to check on them. The non broody is quite the piggy when it comes to food and has to be in the middle of everything. At this point with 3 eggs left to hatch, I don't dare move them. I thought about closing the door to the coop to give them some privacy but it's supposed to reach 90° and I don't want them to get to hot in there. We do have vents but no windows on the coop. I thought about separating the non broody by putting her in a large kennel that we have but again, with the heat coming, she wouldn't be able to dust bathe in a kennel. Any tips are greatly appreciated!!!

separate the non-broody piggy until all chicks are hatched. Shade the kennel; she will be fine missing a dust bath for a few days.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I peeked in to find the almost worst possible outcome. Three dead chicks and one that had been pecked on its back. I'm currently treating the surviving baby the best that I possible can. I created a thread under the "emergency" section and got some very great feedback! She made it past 72 hours so far and it's been 63 hours since I've removed her from everyone else. Heading to the store today to get vetericyn for her wound. If you have any advice on wound care, please check out my other thread and feel free to add any additional input! I'll take everything that I can get!! Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom