Hatching chicks and the options after

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MuskokaChick, Jun 14, 2011.

1. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    I have 11 Red Stars (just laying eggs for us)

I have 2 Silkie Hens and a Silkie Roo (because I like them...the roo was a surprise)

Now my kids want chicks...I have made a homemade bator, and monitoring the heat and humidity today and will probably put the silkie eggs in tomorrow (6 of them)

My question is this...

I have the room for a few more silkies, but I am having that feeling that I am going to truly enjoy hatching (plus I am letting the hen sit on a few eggs)

Then what?

I am not sure I want more than one Rooster

I can take on a few more hens...but what are the options with the rest? What do people do with their chicks? Sell them, if so where?

tia
    shannon

2. lutz123

lutz123 Chillin' With My Peeps

I can only speak for myself... I put them on craigslist or give them away. I enjoy hatching (though I've only done it twice) and plan to continue, but don't do it for any profit (yet). For myself, I will try to get something a little more "special" than your run of the mill barnyard chickens to make it a little more desirable. I also am done hatching for this year because I feel like it's getting a little late. BUT, I will start in January and it will give me something fun to do in the winter! I know the cockerels will likely end up dinner and am okay with that I suppose.

3. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    Thanks...

yeah I am not looking to make money from this...just playing around with the kids...

Maybe someone around would want chicks or in need of a rooster...

I would love to get Polish hen and get a silkie polish cross...they are amazing looking.

I will ask around here and see what the deal is with extra chicks.

thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by