Hatching chicks and the options after

MuskokaChick

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Muskoka Region Ontario
I have 11 Red Stars (just laying eggs for us)

I have 2 Silkie Hens and a Silkie Roo (because I like them...the roo was a surprise)

Now my kids want chicks...I have made a homemade bator, and monitoring the heat and humidity today and will probably put the silkie eggs in tomorrow (6 of them)

My question is this...

I have the room for a few more silkies, but I am having that feeling that I am going to truly enjoy hatching (plus I am letting the hen sit on a few eggs)

Then what?

I am not sure I want more than one Rooster

I can take on a few more hens...but what are the options with the rest? What do people do with their chicks? Sell them, if so where?

tia
shannon

I can only speak for myself... I put them on craigslist or give them away. I enjoy hatching (though I've only done it twice) and plan to continue, but don't do it for any profit (yet). For myself, I will try to get something a little more "special" than your run of the mill barnyard chickens to make it a little more desirable. I also am done hatching for this year because I feel like it's getting a little late. BUT, I will start in January and it will give me something fun to do in the winter! I know the cockerels will likely end up dinner and am okay with that I suppose.

Thanks...

yeah I am not looking to make money from this...just playing around with the kids...

Maybe someone around would want chicks or in need of a rooster...

I would love to get Polish hen and get a silkie polish cross...they are amazing looking.

I will ask around here and see what the deal is with extra chicks.

thanks again

Back
Top Bottom