Hatching chicks need help!

Vanessa Sevilla

In the Brooder
May 24, 2017
So my broody hen was sitting on her eggs and one of them hatched which is now 2 day old. But I guess my rooster pecked the lil one and my hen went to take care of the hurt chick and I guess abandonded her eggs. I thought they were dead but my mom didn't think so we put them under a heat lamp, do you think they will survive?

So my broody hen was sitting on her eggs and one of them hatched which is now 2 day old. But I guess my rooster pecked the lil one and my hen went to take care of the hurt chick and I guess abandonded her eggs. I thought they were dead but my mom didn't think so we put them under a heat lamp, do you think they will survive?
IDK but if you post this question or a link to your thread over here https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ooks-and-more.1137467/page-5763#post-18504045
you will get an answer right away.:D

They may already have expired. Usually with a broody, anything that's going to hatch usually hatches within 24 hours of when the first one does. Hens usually will stay on the nest about 24-48 hours after hatching starts, but then leaves the nest because her instinct tells her that the rest won't hatch. Time will tell if yours will hatch or not. I wouldn't keep them more than a couple of days, though, or they may begin to stink.

I agree with bobbi-j.

Even assuming the eggs are viable, a heat lamp does not provide the necessary humidity, which is crucial at hatch time.

Back
Top Bottom