Hatching chicks need help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Vanessa Sevilla, May 24, 2017.

1. Vanessa Sevilla

Vanessa Sevilla New Egg

May 24, 2017
    So my broody hen was sitting on her eggs and one of them hatched which is now 2 day old. But I guess my rooster pecked the lil one and my hen went to take care of the hurt chick and I guess abandonded her eggs. I thought they were dead but my mom didn't think so we put them under a heat lamp, do you think they will survive?

biophiliac likes this.
  2. biophiliac

biophiliac Chillin' with the Peeps Premium Member

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    IDK but if you post this question or a link to your thread over here https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ooks-and-more.1137467/page-5763#post-18504045
    you will get an answer right away.:D

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    They may already have expired. Usually with a broody, anything that's going to hatch usually hatches within 24 hours of when the first one does. Hens usually will stay on the nest about 24-48 hours after hatching starts, but then leaves the nest because her instinct tells her that the rest won't hatch. Time will tell if yours will hatch or not. I wouldn't keep them more than a couple of days, though, or they may begin to stink.

CTKen likes this.
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I agree with bobbi-j.

Even assuming the eggs are viable, a heat lamp does not provide the necessary humidity, which is crucial at hatch time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by