Hatching Chicks With A Heat Pad And A Egg Carton Experiment

Pics
Day 10 (chicken incubation, eight days)- I read in an article that candling eggs too much can kill them, so I will candle them tomorrow and then start candling them every two days. The eggs look fine, from what I checked yesterday, but... the first one, you know, the JG one that I believed was the only survivor, might have a blood ring... a good amount of the egg darkened and fogged up with red. Yesterday I found three little red bubbles at the bottom of the yolk.

Side Note- If all of the chicks die, then I am going to take a break from the experiments. A thought popped into my mind today (You know, from the little guilty part of your brain that makes you feel like trash and reminds you of horrible things.) and it was, "What would their mothers think of me? How would they react if they found out that I took their egg, gave it life and failed their baby? Killing it before it could draw breath, but still old enough to have a sentient mind?" I can't get this out of my head now, I will try with all of my might to keep at least one of these babies alive. Not even a flood of exhaustion or hunger will make me forget that I promised their mothers that I would care for them and their babies.
(Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest.)
You're not at all a horrible person. You're trying to do everything in your power to hatch these baby chicks, while also trying to come up with a solution for a new incubator.

If you weren't trying and just letting chicks die- maybe you're a bad person.

But with all the effort you're putting into it, the constant checking in, updates, research, and the care you have for these unborn chicks proves that you're not a bad person. You're a really good person, with good intentions.

Day 11 (chicken incubation, nine days)- Candling day today! I found that all of the eggs are now dark and it is now out of my power with my flashlight. The 1st egg seemed to have now lost the blood dots and I will now check to see if the eggs are alive by observing the air sac and so far, they are still growing.:celebrate Candling day will be in three more days now.

Last edited:
You're not at all a horrible person. You're trying to do everything in your power to hatch these baby chicks, while also trying to come up with a solution for a new incubator.

If you weren't trying and just letting chicks die- maybe you're a bad person.

But with all the effort you're putting into it, the constant checking in, updates, research, and the care you have for these unborn chicks proves that you're not a bad person. You're a really good person, with good intentions.
Thanks. 😃

Day 12 (chicken incubation, 10 days)- Ok, so today, I got a new flashlight! I just had to look at one of the eggs to really get a look at what's happening and... the little chick was moving a bit, I think? I checked on the 1st egg and saw that the egg was still alive, not a blood ring in sight. 11 more days or so till hatch day! Half way there!

Last edited:
Day 12 (chicken incubation, 10 days)- Ok, so today, I got a new flashlight! I just had to look at one of the eggs to really get a look at what's happening and... the little chick was moving a bit, I think? I checked on the 1st egg and saw that the egg was still alive, not a blood ring in sight. 11 more days or so till hatch day! Half way there!
Congrats Chick.gif

🐤🐣🐥

Day 13 (chicken incubation, 11 days)- Well just found out that my Jersey Giants are really Austrolorps because of their feet color, pinkish-white. Also, I have been thinking if the chicks are roos I will have to give them away because four roos are enough. Also, my dad said that I can sell the baby chicks so it is okay. I plan on keeping at least one chick. I can't mail them because it is too pricey, is anyone interested in picking up some chicks if they hatch? Also if someone does pick up the chicks I have a BIG rule. Don't get the chicks and kill them when they have no more egg-laying purposes, it can get annoying when people say that they will adopt a chicken but then "cull" them when they stop laying eggs. Also, don't kill the roos when they are annoying. The purpose of adopting is excepting a new member into the family, call it taking or something when you look at a chicken and see that it's only purpose in life is to serve you. I will give the chickens to someone for free if they come over and pick them up on day one, I can't provide store-bought baby chick food because my dad is cheap, I will feed them homemade chick food. After day one, I will raise the price because it will encourage people to get them now and I don't want to raise a chick with someone in the background waiting for me to raise it for them. Anyway, I can't count my chicks before they hatch, sorry for the short of a rant back there, the chicks are doing fine in their eggs for now. Tomorrow will be candling day. :celebrate:jumpy:yesss::wee:hugs Wish the chickos luck in surviving, it's the final countdown. (Please don't hate me) (10 more days)

Day 14 (chicken incubation, 12 days)- Oh my gosh!!! I just candeled the eggs today! EE egg is dead for sure. :hitBut! the other two! I looked into the eggs and saw the unmoving embryos, but all of a sudden they bounced in their shells, still alive, I could practically feel the vibrations! I am so nervous! I hope that they survive because I will greet them will so much love! I can't believe that it is working!!! (9 more days!) :wee:celebrate:love:jumpy:yesss:

Also, do you guys want me to open up the ee egg and take a picture?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom