Hatching chicks with my broody hens.

I'm sorry Y'all, but I need to vent a bit. I am on another thread, and someone posted how I need to put my hen's food away from her, so she will get up to eat, and stretch her legs. She don't want to get up.
Last year, she set her nest under our deck, way back in the far corner, so I could not get near her. Put her food and water, 5 ft away, cause that was as close as I could get to her. Every afternoon it was empty, and I did not know if it was her eating, or my other hens stealing her food. I used a rake, and pushed the food as close as I could to her. But then the snakes took her eggs, and we were done for the season.
So each time I post, I am getting posting from this person like "Well why would she get up, you have the food & water right by her."
I am sorry, but this is her 4th set in 4 years, I think I know my hen by now. And my two other hens back in 2012, they were in their broody house the whole time, and I left the door open for them during the day. And I had only been raising chickens for a year, at that point.
She has a large enough area, so if she wants to get up, she can. I leave her be, because that is how she wants it. I have always done it this way, but I don't tell other people their way is wrong. Some one was concerned about their hen who was sitting on eggs in the coop with the other flock. And I suggested that she move her hen & the eggs at night, to her hen it's own space away from the others, so her hen does not get stressed by the other hens bothering her all the time. I give advice when asked, but I never tell people what they are doing is wrong.
Just needed to get that off my chest, the comment just kind of ruffled my feathers.

I'm sorry Y'all, but I need to vent a bit. I am on another thread, and someone posted how I need to put my hen's food away from her, so she will get up to eat, and stretch her legs. She don't want to get up.
Last year, she set her nest under our deck, way back in the far corner, so I could not get near her. Put her food and water, 5 ft away, cause that was as close as I could get to her. Every afternoon it was empty, and I did not know if it was her eating, or my other hens stealing her food. I used a rake, and pushed the food as close as I could to her. But then the snakes took her eggs, and we were done for the season.
So each time I post, I am getting posting from this person like "Well why would she get up, you have the food & water right by her."
I am sorry, but this is her 4th set in 4 years, I think I know my hen by now. And my two other hens back in 2012, they were in their broody house the whole time, and I left the door open for them during the day. And I had only been raising chickens for a year, at that point.
She has a large enough area, so if she wants to get up, she can. I leave her be, because that is how she wants it. I have always done it this way, but I don't tell other people their way is wrong. Some one was concerned about their hen who was sitting on eggs in the coop with the other flock. And I suggested that she move her hen & the eggs at night, to her hen it's own space away from the others, so her hen does not get stressed by the other hens bothering her all the time. I give advice when asked, but I never tell people what they are doing is wrong.
Just needed to get that off my chest, the comment just kind of ruffled my feathers.

Sadly not every member appreciates that there's more than one way to skin a cat. Its either ignorance or arrogance. I tend to block members if they fall into the latter - beats getting into an argument and it keeps one's dignity intact
smile.png
. It's not always easy, but try to forget about them, and move on in the knowledge that the majority of members are not like that.

CT

about 2 hours ago, we heard cheeps from under Ramin, so I know there is at least one chick that has hatched, Two are Banty eggs, from Ramin, so I figure that it is one of her eggs that hatched. Am surprised, because they are so tiny, compared to the other eggs.
celebrate.gif
fl.gif
wee.gif

We have one hatched Banty and 2 on the way plus 2 eggs not pipping. Question is do I move them now or later? They're on the 2nd story of the coop in the nesting box. When do they need food and water? One hatched today and is already fluffy. Should I move them or put food and water upstairs with them? Mom can get down the ladder fine to hers.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I bought some fertile eggs for my broody brahma. She's suddenly crazy moody! Anyhow we planned to just stick them under her but her stink eye made us think twice! My son put the eggs in front of her and she pulled four under her, but then left the rest im front the of her. Should we just suck it up and handle the pecking and put the rest under her?

ooh that sounds nasty! my broody has been lovely to deal with i would try to put them under, maybe wear gloves! my recent hatch was with bought fertile eggs to bring in a new breed. good luck x

By morning she had taken all those eggs and pulled them under her
1f604.png
!! I read that I should be turning them, but I can't imagine trying to get under her, let alone turning them. My hand would look like I had an accident with a skill saw by the time I was done, for sure.

Now she makes these funny purr-like sounds if we appraise her crate lol!!I know she's turning the eggs bc I've seen the position change. she went I Monday night and still no broody poo
1f914.png
. she has water and food though. Thinking we might put on hazmat suits for protection and try to get her away for a few minutes so she'll make her stink bomb. Plus, I don't think her eggs have enough cushion under them....ugh!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom