Hatching Chicks

bray

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 24, 2014
This may not fall under the emergency category, but I just wanted someone to respond to it quickly. We put eggs in the incubator on 02/05 @ 6:00 am. We had our first chick arrive a couple hours ago, about 36 hours early which has me worried. I think I see a couple other eggs starting to pip, but this really stands out. I circled it in the picture below....can anyone tell what happened? I haven't rolled the egg over because I don't want to cause more trouble, but the egg shouldn't be open at this end correct? If you can't tell this is out first time hatching eggs, and we are pretty nervous/worried.

This may not fall under the emergency category, but I just wanted someone to respond to it quickly. We put eggs in the incubator on 02/05 @ 6:00 am. We had our first chick arrive a couple hours ago, about 36 hours early which has me worried. I think I see a couple other eggs starting to pip, but this really stands out. I circled it in the picture below....can anyone tell what happened? I haven't rolled the egg over because I don't want to cause more trouble, but the egg shouldn't be open at this end correct? If you can't tell this is out first time hatching eggs, and we are pretty nervous/worried.
I don't know a lot about hatching in incubators--it's been a real long time--but I'm hatching my 2nd batch as we speak. I can't really tell what's going on with that egg, I can't see it well or zoom in on my phone, but if it's been done by the chick it looks like "zipping", but if not, sorry, I don't know. If the chick did it, then maybe it's just disoriented?? As for the early hatching, that's usually due to temp too high, which is what I'm dealing with. I set mine 2/4 & I had my first pip yesterday morning & so far have 4 hatched, although that first one got stuck, I helped it & not sure it will make it. I tried adjusting the temp before this batch but it's just not working, so I incubate a little high. I hope someone else sees this & has an answer for you.

Thanks for the response, I hope you are right but it's been like that for a few hours now and I haven't seen any movement from it. I also don't see any where that it started a pip, just the bottom is split.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, I hope you are right but it's been like that for a few hours now and I haven't seen any movement from it. I also don't see any where that it started a pip, just the bottom is split. 

I follow a thread...The Incubator Thread, under Incubators & Hatching (I think)..you might try posting there also.

We have been incubating for several years, That looks like the egg is bad , it will ooze where it has split and it is rotten and usually smells bad. If this is the case you need to get it out of there and be very careful when you do, they can pop and then you have that spoiled stuff all over your incubator and other eggs.

We have been incubating for several years, That looks like the egg is bad , it will ooze where it  has split and it is rotten and usually smells bad. If this is the case you need to get it out of there and be very careful when you do, they can pop and then you have that spoiled stuff all over your incubator and other eggs.

Sorry, that's what it kind of looked like to me but I just couldn't get a good enough look. To me it looked like when you boil an egg with a crack & the white expands, but I thought surely not. Just couldn't tell.

Quick update, amazingly enough the chick piped last night night and was the 2nd chick hatched out of the bunch. I don't know what caused the bottom of the egg to split like that, but everything worked out. The chick looks great and is already moving around the brooder with chick #1.

Quick update, amazingly enough the chick piped last night night and was the 2nd chick hatched out of the bunch. I don't know what caused the bottom of the egg to split like that, but everything worked out. The chick looks great and is already moving around the brooder with chick #1. 

That's great! Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom