Hatching Coturnix Quail Eggs with Chick Eggs?

ldrchickens

Songster
Jul 1, 2018
Oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys! I was wondering what the rules are on throwing some coturnix eggs in the incubator with chicken eggs. I do know they have different incubation periods as well well as ideal temps and humidity. Since they are about three days difference then chickens would it be safe to throw them on day three to the hatch date is about the same? The reason I ask is because if you can hatch them with a broody hen the same as chicken eggs can it be the same in an incubator if the setting are set per chicken eggs. I mean the hen doesnt change her settings in regards to temp and humidity right? lol The only concern is introducing new bacteria into the incubator? Thank you!

Them hatching together shouldn’t pose any threat to their health, assuming that the grown birds are healthy as well. However, chickens are much larger that quail, and I mean much larger. Coturnix quail, or pharaoh quail, can sometimes hatch out pretty weak and are VERY delicate. Even something as small as a chick stepping on them, rolling eggs on them, or laying on them puts the quail in danger. So yes, you can do this, but to me it seems like there are more cons than pros.

Them hatching together shouldn’t pose any threat to their health, assuming that the grown birds are healthy as well. However, chickens are much larger that quail, and I mean much larger. Coturnix quail, or pharaoh quail, can sometimes hatch out pretty weak and are VERY delicate. Even something as small as a chick stepping on them, rolling eggs on them, or laying on them puts the quail in danger. So yes, you can do this, but to me it seems like there are more cons than pros.

:goodpost: this is the most important point in my opinion. The bacteria shouldnt be a threat unless the breeder quail cages are unkempt. Also yoy should considwr the fact that the himidity requirements are different because the quail eggs need to loose less water weight than the chicken eggs. Thats the problem w incubating any vasty diff egg sizes together.

I've hatched coturnix quail and chickens, and then coturnix quail, button quail, and chickens all at the same time. As the others mentioned, you have to add them to the incubator on a staggered schedule so the hatch day is the same. I haven't had an issue with the humidity being different, but it is something to keep an eye on.

Also, putting the quail eggs in a container the chicken chicks can't get into or vice versa would be safer. I did hatch some chickens and coturnix quail without a barrier and had no issues, but that might not always be the case. The quail chicks will run up to the chicken chicks and shove themselves underneath, usually causing the chicken chick to lose its balance.

I think it depends on the incubator. While I have hatched quail and chickens at the same time, many eggs DIS. Egg size-with some incubators it is hard to get a proper temperature for big and small eggs at the same time. When I tried to hatch big and small eggs the small chickens eggs DIS, the large eggs hatched, and the quail eggs hatched too.:th

Some of my chicken eggs are just a bit larger than the quail eggs.

Back
Top Bottom