Hatching day 25 ( Second time lucky)

Ps , I think I will leave them for 2 more days just to be certain then might ask my dad or boyfriend to do an egg topsy because I will just cry if I see a dead duckling
sad.png

I can understand that but here's something that you should think about, opening them up and seeing what went wrong is a way to correct things to make sure it doesn't happen again. This is how we learn and it gives us the ability to make changes until we get it right.

Incubating is a way to duplicate what a Momma duck does, THEY ARE THE PROFESSIONALS, we don't have it down to a T but we surely come close. SO the more we learn the more we can be successful. It's not that we are killer's, it's the fact that we don't have the knowledge to get it right..

Even Momma Ducks Makes mistakes..

OK, first why is your first one getting swimming lessons already? He should be waiting until he's a week old, he has to build up his own oils and it takes about that long to do so.. Getting feet wet is OK but I personally would be holding off on the swimming lessons.

I think your Humidity is to high, Day 29 We are going to want to make safe holes for all of them.
Oh really??? I didn't realise.. thanks for telling me. I will wait for a week now.

Ok... How do I do that?? Just poke a hole in the air sac???

Very true.. Do you want me to post a photo if it's dead when we open it? Would you be able to tell then what might have caused the death??

Last edited:
Oh really??? I didn't realise.. thanks for telling me. I will wait for a week now.

Ok... How do I do that?? Just poke a hole in the air sac???

Very true.. Do you want me to post a photo if it's dead when we open it? Would you be able to tell then what  might have caused the death??

Ok yes make them safe holes it's a small hole no bigger then the size of a pen point you can practice on an egg that's in the fridge so you get the feel of how much pressure you will need to apply. Because to much you'll smash the egg.

I would LOVe to see a pic but not until tomorrow. When you open him please do this peal as much shell off at the air cell.. Understand there's two membranes one is close to the shell and the other one is wrapped around him. So you want to get as close to his membrane as much as possible once you have done that spray him and watch for movements. If there's movements let me know and immediately put him back. Give it a minute or so

Ok so I pipped a hole and can see the duckling but no movement. Im so so upset. I can't take it out of the shell.. I know I should but it will upset me too much!

Not going to do this again until I have a good digital incubator !

Thank you so much for all your help. You have all been so wonderful.

Jessica

Don't feel badly. There are sooo many reasons for an egg not to hatch. Mother Nature, poor incubation (both natural and artificial) bad genetics... Even top of the line incubators fail and yet some people have hatched eggs in a box under a heat lamp.
On a different note, how is Winnie?

Thank you :) I am a soft touch and hate any animal passing away. I just hope they didn't suffer and just fell asleep peacefully.

Winnie is so lovely but I am exhausted!! I slept on the floor last night to stop her crying so tonight I am going to try putting the brooder box on the bed,
I had her in my cardigan when I went shopping and everyone fell in love with her!
Waiting for a ducklings to hatch from a local breeder so she can have a little friend. Love her sooo much!!!

L
ook at her here.. fast asleep!! <3 <3

Back
Top Bottom