Hatching different batches of eggs at the same time...

Bryam

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
I currently have 8 shipped silkie eggs in the incubator that are due to hatch on Friday, I have also been collecting eggs from my own chickens, I was thinking of adding to them to the incubator, will they contaminate my first batch of shipped eggs? Am I better off waiting for them to hatch, then place the new batch of eggs in the incubator?

Thanks for your advice!!!:D

I would say wait because of lock down on your eggs in the bator. If it were closer to the same day you could but with lock down in a few days I would not suggest it.

Last edited:
How old is the oldest one? How many more days until your first batch is done? There are several folks who report success doing staggered hatches in one incubator, but that is not the norm, nor is it recommended. It depends on how much of a risk taker you are. The biggest issue is that you would need to turn the new eggs, while not opening the incubator during the hatch (to keep the humidity up for the eggs hatching) If you are currently collecting eggs, you could continue to do so, and then give the incubator a good cleaning, before setting the new eggs. It would also give you a chance to evaluate your hatching method, before starting again.

Good point! I will wait till they hatch! They will be in the incubator for /1 days on Friday!

Back
Top Bottom