Hatching Disaster

HELP PLEASE!!!! Chick has top shell off but still in egg and I can see membrane is dried around it. Not sure if I should help it's been almost 24 hours and need to know if it's safe to remove dried membrane. So scared of hurting chick.

I had this happen to one of mine at the end when my humidity plummeted. I tried to allow the chick to hatch on its own but I could tell that it was stuck to the membrane, so I carefully removed the membrane and remaining shell - ever so carefully- I did not remove anything that looked like it was still attached. Turned out nothing was attached at all, it just couldn't get free from the dried out membrane. Now I have a healthy chick

I can almost guarantee they didn't die because of you lockdown humidity. Many of us use 75% and it goes to 85 or greater. Lockdown humidity doesn't damage eggs. However the 45-55% during the first 17 days has a high probability of being the culprit as humidity that high causes high occurances of drowning at hatch time because the egg can not loose enough moisture. I'll give you a humidity link you might find useful. Sorry to hear about the losses.
http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

AmyLynn...that was the best article on humidity EVER! Now I understand the why of it all and the practice of marking the air cells so you can adjust as needed. Looking back, I am certain that my air cells were too small as my candling did reveal this. I just didn't know what I was looking for. Now I know my humidity was too high during the first 18 days.
Thank you so much for sharing that link!

AmyLynn...that was the best article on humidity EVER! Now I understand the why of it all and the practice of marking the air cells so you can adjust as needed. Looking back, I am certain that my air cells were too small as my candling did reveal this. I just didn't know what I was looking for. Now I know my humidity was too high during the first 18 days.
Thank you so much for sharing that link!

You are very welcome and I am glad that it has helped. You'll have to post or pm me how your next hatch goes, or join us on the hands on hatching and help thread anytime.
1f642.png

Back
Top Bottom